Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2007 7:31:29 AM EDT
Ok, I just got my sister's old pc (this thing is slow).  It had Windows 98 on it, but it is running so slowly that I was just going to reformat the HD and install a faster OS (linux).

Then the HD crapped out, so I figured I would use it a s a dumb terminal where it would just browse the net without a HD at all.

The system is this:  Athalon processor, 650mhz 64mb RAM.

I tried Slax, didnt work (hung up- just got 2 icons on the desktop and thats the further it gets- cd spins indefinitely)
I tried Damn Small Linux, didnt work (gave me an error that said it was pausing for 30 seconds, and this went on indefinitely).

I tried Ubuntu, but it froze at start up screen (I assumed not enough RAM).

Which distro, if any, will work?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I was going to recommend damn small linux but looks like you already tried it.

I'm posting this from a Mepis livecd right now, may as well give that a shot
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You are going to have trouble running most flavors of linux WITH the GUI with only 64MB of RAM. Damn small linux is likely does the 30 second pause because it does not like your video card. You might just try hitting enter when it pauses ot select 80x25 for the video mode. Still, It may not work at all with the video card.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was going to recommend damn small linux but looks like you already tried it.

I'm posting this from a Mepis livecd right now, may as well give that a shot

Mepis recommends running with 128mb RAM or more:

www.mepis.org/node/1466
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You are going to have trouble running most flavors of linux WITH the GUI with only 64MB of RAM. Damn small linux is likely does the 30 second pause because it does not like your video card. You might just try hitting enter when it pauses ot select 80x25 for the video mode. Still, It may not work at all with the video card.

-Foxxz

So basically its a lost cause?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ubuntu?

I tried it.  My first post said that it froze on me in startup screen- probably due to not enough RAM
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

If you can get past the video card issue DSL (damn small linux) will work. Without more RAM its not going to be a happy camper in GUI mode. Otherwise, with a hard drive or something you could run a file server on it or squid caching proxy and gateway server if you have multiple web servers on your network. The added benefit is you can log all the URLs that are being accessed on your network.

Could use it as a webserver to learn how to write PERL or PHP or python apps on. Its just the GUI uses alot of RAM.

If you don't want to install a hard drive then DSL with a thumb drive will be your best bet.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

If you can get past the video card issue DSL (damn small linux) will work. Without more RAM its not going to be a happy camper in GUI mode. Otherwise, with a hard drive or something you could run a file server on it or squid caching proxy and gateway server if you have multiple web servers on your network. The added benefit is you can log all the URLs that are being accessed on your network.

Could use it as a webserver to learn how to write PERL or PHP or python apps on. Its just the GUI uses alot of RAM.

If you don't want to install a hard drive then DSL with a thumb drive will be your best bet.

-Foxxz

Ok, I have a file server that is running Ubuntu Edgy Eft that does not require the GUI part.  Could I possibly take out the video card out of that box and put it into the Athalon box and get DSL to work?

I know I might have video card and motherboard conflicts, but I guess it is worth the shot.

The video card in the file server is not anything fancy, so it will probably work.

I do, however, use VNC to use the GUI on the file server, but I can also Putty into the terminal.

I guess its not that big of a deal if I cannot use GUI on the file server..........
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
the error DSL is giving me with current config is this:

init: panic: segmentation violation at 0x804e19a! sleeping for 30 seconds

This goes on indefinately....
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#11]
stick some RAM in it and run XUBUNTU
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the error DSL is giving me with current config is this:

init: panic: segmentation violation at 0x804e19a! sleeping for 30 seconds

This goes on indefinately....

That's a pretty unusual error. Don't know what to tell you about that. It probably is not the video card then. Wondering if maybe you possibly have bad ram

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I was wondering that as well.

Since I cannot get Slax or DSL to work, it had me wondering

I did do a mem test on it......but it was on 2 hours and still running......it had zero errors though...
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]
about the only way to do this is format the hd in fat32(hopefully its a couple gb drive).  put the live cd in there.   and i believe some of the live cds will use the hd as the "temporary" storage.   im pretty sure knoppix does this.     i've used so many of them i get confused though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top