Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2007 6:42:47 PM EDT
i have a linksys wrt54gs wireless router, my setup consists of 3 computers. i have the net running into the router, then my main computer and my media server wired to the router and use a wireless connection for a computer downstairs in the family room.

i just noticed that my router is drastically slowing my connection, the heat was left on in my house and my router overheated so i unhooked it (i have never before ran the net without the router) and ran the net straight from the modem to my nic and noticed that my download speed went from around 300k to over 2megs a second, and my up speed tripled.

so the question is, is there a setting in my router that limits my speed that i cannot find, do i maybe need to open ports in my router (if so which ones), or is it just a hardware limitation with no workaround?

i am running this firmware in my router dd-wrt
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
have you checked dto see if your running the latest firmware?

i couldnt run the ddwrt on my box.   after i flashed it i could no longer use my wap54g  then it took me 3 days to get it back to the linksys firmware..

after you flashed it with the ddwrt did you login to the router and do a setup defaults ??? thats rule number one after flashing ANY device  

edit

plus i was a little paraniod about someone named brainslayer controlling my network.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#2]
yup, first thing i did after flash was set a password and change a few settings, forward a few ports for different programs i use, and limit access to my wireless computer downstairs. everything seems to work fine, just seems like it is capped. it was always fast enough until i noticed my net ran much faster without the router.

it would just be nice to get my upload at full speed so i can ssh into my linux box and stream my music and such at work at triple the speed i currently get.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:20:40 AM EDT
[#3]
This is strange.  I would think there would be a setting on the router, but I dont know.  I actually do the same thing (router as a point of entry) but I have a netgear router.  My dloads are usually in the 300-400 Kb....I might be in the same boat as you.  I have not tried it in a while to dload something without the router.....

I do also use a switch to help transfer the data faster and more reliable between the VOIP, the desktop, and laptop...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
i would suggest doing back to the linksys firmware.    (to troubleshoot)

or reflashing it with a newer or the same firmware.    make sure its not from a wireless system

keep me updated i want to know what causes this !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top