Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2007 9:27:18 PM EDT
Apparently, some kid is using some sort of phpBB spam script to flood my forums with posts.

I know phpBB has an IP resolution feature built in, and if he's not using a proxy, I can know what his ISP is.

I really want to get some justice on this fucker, but I fear that I may not be able to do anything.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If there's any consistency to the IP ranges, block the subnets at the router level.

Give it a few days to see if the attack has subsided and then edit the router table again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If there's any consistency to the IP ranges, block the subnets at the router level.

Give it a few days to see if the attack has subsided and then edit the router table again.

I'm using 1and1 webhosting...this isn't a setup I made at home.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#3]
how is he getting around the forum login anonymously?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
how is he getting around the forum login anonymously?

I think he manually registered like 9-10 forum accounts and used some sort of PHP spam script to keep posting.

And he carried out some sort of DoS attack.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see an option in the 1and1.com control to block IP's... which sucks!

-d
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#6]
You might compile a list of IP's or a block, and submit to 1and1 a request to help with the block.  The hosting companies don't like this stuff any more than you do and will likely help you out.

Plus, if this kind of stuff goes on unabated and they see a pattern of bogus traffic they might suspend your account.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top