Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2007 7:48:50 PM EDT
My dad gave me a laptop recently, it's a little old (running Win2k) I thought I had done a clean new install of the operating system but when I reboot I get offered a choice of 2 iterations of Win2k. One is the admin, password and everything I set up and the other is everything set up the way my dad had it.  When signed on as one of the two I can't see the other, I would like to get rid of the older configuration to clear up disk space.  M y question is can I get rid of the configuration I don't want while keeping the one I do, or do I have to refomat and try again?  Any answers appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can reformat a partition, then yes.  I do not know if you can specifically reformat a particular partition on a drive.

I have only heard of reformatting a drive.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It's been years since I did any desktop/OS install stuff, but if I recall, you can reformat the partition using Disk Management and edit the boot.ini file to remove the reference to the other boot option.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
You can go into a dos command window (start -> run -> cmd), then type "bootcfg /list". That will list all of the OS's currently configured to boot. If you can distinguish which one is the one you want, you can type "bootcfg /default" and set the default to boot to.

If you know how to remove the read only flag on the boot.ini file, you can do that and then just edit it with Notepad, then save it, and put back the read only flag.

-d
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies but I wound up reformatting anyway,  at least it was free!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top