Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2006 6:41:17 PM EDT
well...since time is counting down i dont have time to buy anything online so i went to the local base, Ft. Belvoir, to check out their laptop selection.

i have researched laptops for the past week and think i have made the best selection for price for my needs...obviously not the best out there...but good enough for me

and here it is...

The Satellite A105 platform delivers the state-of-the-art technology you've always wanted in an affordable notebook. Light and multimedia savvy, it features a brilliant 15.4" diagonal Widescreen XGA TruBrite display*, DVD SuperMulti Drive* read/write flexibility, pushbutton instant-on CD/DVD playback, advanced wireless technology, and all the storage and speed you'll ever need.

2048MB Memory* andWindows® XP Media Center Edition 2005*
Exceptional Value: Powerful Intel® Core™ Duo Processor, 2048MB system memory*, high performance 120GB HDD*, DVD burrner*, and high speed wireless* LAN. Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition* makes organizing files easy!

Product Specifications Processor Type*
Core™ Duo  

Processor Number*
T2400  

Processor Speed*
1.83GHz  

Operating System*
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005  

Memory Size*
2048MB  

Display Size*
15.4"  

Display Type*
Widescreen XGA with TruBrite™ Technology  

Display Resolution*
1280x800  

Graphics Chipset*
Graphics Media Accelerator 950  

Graphics Memory*
8MB-128MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory  

Hard Drive Size*
120GB  

Hard Drive Speed*
5400rpm  

Optical Drive*
DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)  

Wireless LAN*
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)  

Bluetooth*
No Bluetooth (No Antenna)  

Input Devices
85 key US keyboard, Hot Key Functions, Windows Key Function, Internet Launch button, Express Media Player CD/DVD launch button, Dual Mode Pad  

Security
Finger Print Reader, Password Security, Security Cable Lock Slot, Hot Key Security  

LAN
10/100/1000  

Audio
harman/kardon® stereo speakers, SRS TruSurround XT® virtual surround sound, SRS WOW™ stereo sound, Realtek ALC861, Built-in microphone  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
thats a heck of a system...

did it come with recovery cd's ?  odd question but im just curious
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I turned and ran when I read all of the poor reviews on Toshibas.

I just picked up a HP Pavilion DV5224nr

2Ghz Turion 64
1gig of memory (1 DIMM)  (I'll be adding another shortly.)
80 gig 5400 RPM harddrive (Upgrading to 120 gig)
128mb (Dedicated) ATI Radeon X200M
Altec Lansing speakers
CD-RW/DVD-RW Dual layer, with Lightsribe.
802.11 A/B/G with Burst,
Bluetooth
15.4 HD WXGA Brightview
6 in 1 card reader
ExpressCard 54 PC Card slot
Type I/II PCMCIA Card slot
Windows Media Center '05

Oooh.. and a fancy remote control.

$750 was a good deal  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ETA: Afplayboy, look on the bottom for the factory label, after "Sattelite A105" there should be a hyphen followed by a 3 or 4 digit number preceded by an "S" and followed by "System Unit"...what is it?

its the Satellite A105-S4134.

it was 1299 but i got it on base so no taxes

Quoted:

my wife has had a satellite laptop for the past few years and havent had one problem...

what reviews have you been seeing?

Quoted:
thats a heck of a system...

did it come with recovery cd's ?  odd question but im just curious

yes, the recovery cd did come with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I just picked up a HP Pavilion DV5224nr

Not to piss in your cheerios but HP/Compaq has been getting a ton of bad reviews since they came under one roof, particularly with their customer service.

My first laptop was a Toshiba Satellite back in the late '90s, it ran perfect for years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#10]
A good majority of the reviews I read were on Cnet and some other techie sites, I would cruise craigslist for a used laptop and found some decent deals. googled the model number with review and read what I ran across.. I'm not saying every Toshiba review was bad. I just saw more bad than good..

In the end I just broke down and purchased new.

But how many Toshibas are there on the market compared to other companys selling laptops? But overall I read more good reviews on the laptop series I am running.

But theres always a warranty to abuse before it expires.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not to piss in your cheerios but HP/Compaq has been getting a ton of bad reviews since they came under one roof, particularly with their customer service.

Hey man, don't piss in my cheerios Not like I said My HP ownz0rz j00r suXx0rz Toshiba.

I totally agree on HP's terrible customer service. (Been there, done that)
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Mrs. Colt_SBR has a Toshiba laptop.  She loves it.  

I have a HP Pavilion laptop.  I love it.  I use the little remote all the time.  

Our desk top PC is a Sony Vaio.  It sucks.  But it still works.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top