Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 5:36:50 PM EDT
Today I was trying to copy a DVD (non copyrighted DVD, of course ) using DVD Shrink.  I've done it a hundred times before without a problem.  I have a Shuttle small form factor PC, I bought it pre-built directly from Shuttle with Win XP Home installed, it seems to be a no name DVD Burner.

It was still in the encoding phase when all of a sudden I received my first BSOD in years.  I tried it again and it froze about 80% thru.  I went to try it a third time, but now it won't even recognize there being a disc in there.  I tired many different discs of different types (CDROM, Music CD, Video CD, DVD), none of them work.

I assume my DVD burner is borked?  A hardware problem in the DVD burner would cause a BSOD, correct?  If that's the case I'll just replace the DVD burner.  

So which one should I get?  Speed isn't a big issue to me.  The one I currently have does DVD R/RW and +R as well as Dual Layer, but I don't use any of them, I just use R.  Any recommendations on a good but inexpsnsive drive?  I see this drive on the front page of newegg, ya can't beat the price, but will it fail next month?  www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152058

Also, should I be using +R instead of R (or is it called -R?)?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#1]
get this

I bought one when it was about $70 and had NEVER had a SINGLE issue with it or burned a single coaster. you will also find it burns some 8X DVD's at 10x or 12x.  

its a good deal, good produce and newegg will have it to you in 3 days!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
get this

I bought one when it was about $70 and had NEVER had a SINGLE issue with it or burned a single coaster. you will also find it burns some 8X DVD's at 10x or 12x.  

its a good deal, good produce and newegg will have it to you in 3 days!

Damn, I just edited that same link into my post!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL, looks like you updated your post with the same one!!! too funny

ETA spell check
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
yea, i would cop that one man. like i said i have had it for awhile and never an issue. I use shrink and dvd decrypter with NERO and sometime anydvd when i need to. I get the ridata -R DVD's and have not had a problem
ETA, as far as + or - R.

+ r is better for data so i have heard. I have used both for movies and for data and not had any issues. Some people may not be able to play a copied DVD on a +R DVD in an old DVD player. other than that I would say for the sake of $$ to get the -R. Its good enough for what you need (burn movies)
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]
SOFTWARE problem

DVD burner burnout would not bluescreen you, you'd just be getting coasters...

If it's a hardware problem, it's with that 'small form factor' PC you bought (they're rather notorious for 'issues' due to the heavy use of proprietary/non-standard hardware)...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
SOFTWARE problem

DVD burner burnout would not bluescreen you, you'd just be getting coasters...

If it's a hardware problem, it's with that 'small form factor' PC you bought (they're rather notorious for 'issues' due to the heavy use of proprietary/non-standard hardware)...

It was in the encoding stage so I wouldn't get any coasters, it wasn't burning, just reading.

The PC has been perfect for a year and a half.  This is the only problem I have had is the one I am having right now, where it won't read a disc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:39:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#8]
find the model number of the old drive, and try to do a firmware update(the files are on the manuf web site).   not all drives will read or write all newer media.  

the drive could be bad also.  but it could just be a firmware problem
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#9]
cruze, I wish it were that easy, but it won't read any disc at all, new or old.  How could that be a firmware problem?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have 5 NEC burners and they all work great.

I just bought a slim one for my laptop.

They're a great drive for the price.

I only have one, bought about 2 years ago, and it's never made a coaster.

The Lite-On I had to replace on the other hand, wouldn't even recognize the disks that came with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top