Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 4:54:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
<sigh> Well, I got the urge to upgrade my laptop (Toshiba M45) to a 7200 rpm hardrive with a slightly larger capacity, figured I 'd use the stock 80 gig 5400 drive in a usb enclosure.

Well, after a 12 hour session with Norton Ghost (including error-chcecking) the remove.install went well, but it gets only as far as the Windows (XP Home) "welcome" screen and it freezes with the screen half opaque ,like it's failing to fully load.

Any suggestions?

<double sigh> Then today I received my new DVD-R drive (NEC ND-6750A) as Newegg had them on sale and my current MatshitaUJ 830-S totally sucks ass as it only records at 1 or 2x and is really finnicky about media (Panasonic SUCKS).

Well, again, the swap went okay, but the new drive fails to be found by Windows. It has power since the tray works ,but it won't read a disk, nor doe sit show up in My Computer or Device Manager.

Did I get a bum drive by any chance? I've never seen this happen before, but I very rarely work on laptops. (Note: Old drive works when reinstalled so I suppose the IDE controller is ok..)

Any wild-assed guesses greatly appreciated.

notebookforums.com

Toshibas have problems with some aftermarket cd/dvd drives.

Not sure on your hdd.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#2]
so on the harddrives you ghosted the old drive to the new drive??

btw i am not a fan of usb enclosure drives.  they are notorious to be problematic.
I use the laptop to IDE convertors.   they are the fastest way to copy data.( you will need a pc to do this obviously)

on the cdrom drive what are the jumper settings at.  verify they are on the correct settings.  or cheat and look at the old drive.  

I bought a  high end seagate harddrive a couple months back.    we tried muliple installs on windows on the drive.  used seagates harddrive diag tool.   it passed the drive.   but it would not work properly.  we replaced the drive and it worked fine.  

most HD manufactors have a hd diag tool.  might try running it.  or post what brand and i'll give you the link
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
so on the harddrives you ghosted the old drive to the new drive??

Yeah old drive resident in machine and ghosted via usb to new drive

btw i am not a fan of usb enclosure drives.  they are notorious to be problematic.
I use the laptop to IDE convertors.   they are the fastest way to copy data.( you will need a pc to do this obviously)

So you're saying use a 2.5 to 3.5 ide adapter, take the old drive out of the lappy, chost it to the desktop hdd, then transfer it to the new 2.5 drive? Interesting....   no i meant buy  2 of the adapters hook it up to your master ide channel and ghost one drive to the other.

on the cdrom drive what are the jumper settings at.  verify they are on the correct settings.  or cheat and look at the old drive.  

I don't see ANY jumpers on the cd rom, old or new...just a solid metal housing with the mini-IDE connection on the ass end. What am I missing???  missing =    the white jumper should be set to master if it on the end of the ide cable

most HD manufactors have a hd diag tool.  might try running it.  or post what brand and i'll give you the link

Seagate Momentus 7200 rpm, 100 gb   thats odd thats the exact drive we used
this is seagates diag software link
Thank you as always cruze, and others..you guys are GREAT!

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]
cruze5, he is talking about a DVD drive in a laptop.....

Helldog, the forum url above has a peer to peer technical forum for toshiba, I have read there about a similar problem and a fix.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
cruze5, he is talking about a DVD drive in a laptop.....

Helldog, the forum url above has a peer to peer technical forum for toshiba, I have read there about a similar problem and a fix.

thanks for the correction.  boy am i on the ball today

i've been up to long today
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top