Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 7:27:10 PM EDT
My local Office Max is going out of business and they have all of their HDD's discounted 20%.  They have Western Digital 7200RPM and Seagate.  I like the 5 year Seagate warranty, but they are all Ultra ATA/100 drives.

Short of opening my box, how do I find out if my computer will handle one of the Seagate drives?

Are the Western Digital drives any good?  They only have a 1 year warranty.  I need something to back up the contents of my current HDD.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer Seagate to WD, though both are fine.

Even if your computer can't take full advantage of ATA/100 drives, the faster spindle speeds and access times will make your computer seem faster.  Go into Windows Device Manager and double-click your disk drive controller tree.  Depending on whose ATA controller hardware your motherboard uses, it may tell you what DMA/PIO transfer speed that your current drive is operating at.  It's a good bet that that's your maximum capabilities.

For the right price on a new drive, you really can't go wrong.

ETA, my device manager expanded tree for the NForce ATA controller:

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's what I got.

So the Ultra ATA/100 uses the same type of connection that any drive uses?  Ribbon type cables with tons of connections?

If that is the case, then I guess going with the Seagate Ultra ATA/100 drive would be a better deal.  Plus that 5 year warranty looks might damn nice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#3]
all modern computers use 80 wire hardrive connection(ATA) till you go to the SATA connection.  

either drive will work with your gateway computer.  I would buy the seagate.  I resell seagate harddrives.  Can't beat them, especially the warranty.  

you usually don't see the ata 133 unless you have a higher end board.  server board per example.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the answers.  Going with the Seagate 160 GB.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd vote for WD drives. All I use in my personal systems. 1480 gigs across 3 machines :)

-d
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd vote for WD drives. All I use in my personal systems. 1480 gigs across 3 machines :)

-d

too late  hahaha  

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I swear by Seagate drives. They aren't speed demons, but they are quiet and I've never had one fail. In my next PC I plan to use a 150gb Western Digital Raptor 10k RPM drive for the operating system disc and two or three very large Seagate 7200 RPM drives for data storage.

Galland
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, so I got the drive (160 GB Seagate, $80).  Installation as easy as opening the thing up, dropping in the drive, connection the cables, and firing it up?

Or do I need to set a jumper?  I assume these things are like CD drives in that one functions as the master and the other as the slave.  I want this new drive to be secondary to my current 80 GB drive.

Also, what is the best way to back-up the contents of my old drive onto the new drive?  Just CTRL-C, CTRL-V?

I read an interesting article in the tech section of my local paper a few weeks ago about automatic BU's using two drives.  Not online anymore, so I can't go back and read it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
OK, so I got the drive (160 GB Seagate, $80).  Installation as easy as opening the thing up, dropping in the drive, connection the cables, and firing it up?

Or do I need to set a jumper?  I assume these things are like CD drives in that one functions as the master and the other as the slave.  I want this new drive to be secondary to my current 80 GB drive.

Also, what is the best way to back-up the contents of my old drive onto the new drive?  Just CTRL-C, CTRL-V?

I read an interesting article in the tech section of my local paper a few weeks ago about automatic BU's using two drives.  Not online anymore, so I can't go back and read it.

yep.

so you will want to setup the new drive as slave, as you already said.  

i copy and paste my data to a secondary drive also.  someone else might be able to recomend some software to make it easier.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top