Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 5:57:40 AM EDT
Bought my first, and only plextor, in March of 04.  Went south under warranty so Plextor sends me a 712A to replace the 708.  Two years later I need a replacement for the expensive Plextor.  Waiting for my Lite-0n lightscribe to arrive.  Plextor is sure overpriced.  End of rant!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
i only owned one plextor drive.  i burned hundreds of cds and then it died shortly out of warranty.   my first sony dvdrw ($350)  drive did that also.

i think its they have a timer inside the drives to make them fail shorly after warranty

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The 708 went while still under waranty so that was good for me.  The 712A went under a year.  Since the 712 was considered to be covered under the first waranty I am S.O.L. Sure seems like they are made to go just after the waranty expires.  Will see how the Lite-on holds up!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Plextor > All

They are the only optical drive I will use in ANY of my PCs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my Lite-On. It has only given me trouble once, when the OEM that makes my prefered CD-R brand decided to change standards without telling anyone. A drive BIOS upgrade solved the problem.

Galland
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Plextor > All

They are the only optical drive I will use in ANY of my PCs.

+1 that. I just got the 740 to replace my 708 that stopped burning. But I kept it in the system so I had two optical drives. So far the 740 kicks ass

-d
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Like much in the electronics world there are very few companies that accutally make optical drives.  Most are just rebranded OEM drives.  The physical bits are all the same some changes in firmware though.  You will find youself in the minority with Plextor though, they are highly regarded as the gold standard in many circles.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I did buy the Plextor after much on line research.  Now that the 712A is out of the case it was manufactured in 8/04.  Just mad that within less than two years both the 708 and the 721 went south.  Used the LiteOn yesterday without a hitch and at 1/3rd the cost of the Plextor.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Still using plextors as well..  a couple of them are about 6 years old now..  still tickin along.    

I pretty much only use Plextor for CD/CDR  and Pioneer for DVDr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top