Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 11:45:29 PM EDT
So I powered up my new build for the first time and had windows doing it's install thing, everything was running great and then the computer just shut off. So I looked inside and low and behold, one of my power cords was not plugged in all the way, it was just kind of hanging off the pin. The orange and white cable in the picture. So I pushed it all the way in and hit the power button on the front of my computer. Nothing.
The manual for the motherboard lists this as the power switch cord.
Is there some way to test my motherboard and see if it still works? Or am I screwed? Thanks.
The orange one is the cord I had problems with, and I have no idea what the other two things are.
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#1]
First of all, is it plugged into the wall? Are you sure? Double check.

If you have a multimeter I would check the power supply first. If you can't do that you can take something metal like the end of a small screwdriver and short the pins on the motherboard that the switch plugged into. This should turn the PC on. Be very careful! Do not touch anything else.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#3]
im betting you plugged it in wrong.     you didn't do any damage.   look at the manual, and plug it where it should go.   if need be unplug  the HD power, speaker, and all others and just try it will the power switch plugged in.  

now the powering off.  when you turn the sytem on are the cpu fans and others spinning.   the cpu is the absolute critical one!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I've fried a mobo or two when I didn't think I messed it up...and times when I knew I didn't do it right, the mobo came out ok.

When my mobos fried, it was right on boot up when it first got juice running through it.  If you were well into a Windows install and it powered off...I'm guessing it lost power on the connection and probably alright.  Though you'll probably have to redo the drive formatting...hehe.

cruze5 has some good things to try...particularly seeing that the CPU fan spins on the first power up.  If not, just shut it right off and the CPU won't overheat that fast.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys are all my heroes. Windows is now formatting my hard drive and everything is going as planned. Thanks a lot. I was ready to kiss off building my own computer. Blowjobs all around, on ol' steve-oh!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You guys are all my heroes. Windows is now formatting my hard drive and everything is going as planned. Thanks a lot. I was ready to kiss off building my own computer. Blowjobs all around, on ol' steve-oh!

If you are buying... I wish I had replied to this with an answer...

If you are giving.. thank god I didn't :)

-d
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Waiting for the answer to what finally happened and the actual status of the promised blow jobs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top