Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 12:03:41 PM EDT
Hello,

I have two XP Pro PCs in the office networked.  One is a desktop that runs all the time; it has some server responsibilites already (print server, sshd, etc).  The other is a laptop that gets turned on and off.  I would like users to have the ability to access their accounts and files (presumably stored on the desktop) seamlessly from either machine.  Can XP be configured to act as a server in this capacity, or does that require Windows 200X Server?  Are there any other interesting solutions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Share each user's "My Documents" folder.
Tell everyone to store their own data there.
Set the security and sharing permissions for each folder as you
see fit (users and groups).
If you don't have a security tab in the properties,
it is because you have FAT32 instead of NTFS for the file system.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Share each user's "My Documents" folder.
Tell everyone to store their own data there.
Set the security and sharing permissions for each folder as you
see fit (users and groups).
If you don't have a security tab in the properties,
it is because you have FAT32 instead of NTFS for the file system.

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I can map the folders at boot and use TweakUI to change "My Documents" on each folder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top