Asus K8V MoBo
AMD 3000+ 64 bit proc
512 mags of RAM
2 80 gig 7200rmp IDE drives
Asus N6800XT with 256 on board AGP graphics

Need more RAM!

Which should I do?
A: Another 512 to make it a gig.
B: Pull the 512 and put two 1 gig sticks in there and make it 2 gigs.

If option B.  What do you reccomend?  Link to good deal?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with 2Gb.  

www.pricewatch.com/
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]
if the system is going to be used for gaming.   I use Corsair Xms memory.    its avail at newwgg and other places.     the more you buy the better the system will perform, in gaming
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
if the system is going to be used for gaming.   I use Corsair Xms memory.    its avail at newwgg and other places.     the more you buy the better the system will perform, in gaming

Yes, I do game with it.

So Corsair is good?  It has been a while since I went out looking at computer components.  I started looking this morning and saw Corsair all over the place, but had never heard of it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]
crucial ballistics  memory is also good memory but i've never tried it in a gaming system.  

crucial is what i install in all my customers desktop systems.   if its a gaming system its good to have the "heat shield"  on the memory to disipate heat.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#5]
What abou the Corsair Value Select?
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145579

Computers function:
ARFCOM
Highest end games I play are Half Life 2, Call of Duty 2, Battle For Middle Earth 2
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
if its a gaming system its good to have the "heat shield" on the memory to disipate heat.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
if its a gaming system its good to have the "heat shield" on the memory to disipate heat.  

I hear ya.   But if I have been running these games already on a simple unheat shielded stick of 512 and the thing has not caught fire yet, why do I really need them?

Is it a heat issue or a performance issue that you say I need the shields?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#8]
im just picky for my machines, thats all.

the memory does has a lifetime warranty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top