Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 9:02:43 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting a Maxtor 100 or 200 gig harddrive.  Anybody heard of any probs with them?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I use the maxtor external drives for backups all the time.  Very good external drives, you shouldnt have  any problems.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#2]
All I can say is stay away from seagate external drives.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
All I can say is stay away from seagate external drives.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Seagates have some firmware built in that makes it to sleep after 5 mins of inactivity and you CANT TURN IT OFF. Annoying as shit. Plus I already had to RMA it after it died.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Seagates have some firmware built in that makes it to sleep after 5 mins of inactivity and you CANT TURN IT OFF. Annoying as shit. Plus I already had to RMA it after it died.

i have never heard of this crap.  do you have a link or something that proves this.

BTW  i am a reseller of seagate hardrives.  i have never heard that.

they have a 5 year warranty,  what else do you want from them
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have never heard of this crap.  do you have a link or something that proves this.

My company sells the seagate drives also, and I have never heard of it either.  I have not heard one complaint about the seagate external drives.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My company sells the seagate drives also, and I have never heard of it either.  I have not heard one complaint about the seagate external drives.

Yea Seagate drives are solid drives.

Uh BTW… Seagate now owns Maxtor.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a Maxtor 240 and it works like a champ.  Use it to edit videos with my laptop.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:34:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info guys.  I read some online reviews of Maxtor that indicated there were some problems in 2003/2004, but it sounded like they were fixed in the follow-on models.
Never heard about Seagate being bitchy, I've got a Seagate internal in another machine that has never given me any probs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I think you should buy a Seagate. That way you are helping to pay my salary.

Good luck either way
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Good luck either way

have been, and will continue to
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck either way

have been, and will continue to

Seagate teh r0x0rz.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#13]
m24shooter

IM me if you interested in a Seagate external drive. We are able to get them once in a while. Let me know what size you are looking at and I will see about price and availability.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a 400 gig segate i use for back ups...I've droped it while on, slammed it in a car door, and thrown rifles on top of it....pretty solid so far....and yes they are mission critical backups...I just don't really care :)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd rather take a chainsaw to my nutsack than EVER buy a fucking IBM drive again.  I had 4 of them - FOUR of them fail in 3 years at home.  Even my old 4.3GB Maxtor from like 1995 still runs.  

IBM makes SHIT.  

I think you'll be fine with Maxtor, Seagate, or Western Digital.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
ibm= hitachi now

anything 60gb or below was trash.      any time a customer said it sounds like my computer is scratching something.   we knew it was a ibm harddrive
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#17]
What are you guys talking about.....The IBM Death Star line was the greatest!!!

*cough*
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ibm= hitachi now

anything 60gb or below was trash.      any time a customer said it sounds like my computer is scratching something.   we knew it was a ibm harddrive

That's exactly what mine used to do.  They'd do this and fail within minutes.  Mine were a bunch 40 giggers.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It's a 300gb seagate usb/firewire (ST3300801CBRK). It's not windows power saving because it happens when its not even connected to the PC. The drive will make the seek noise and then just spin down after exactly 5 minutes of idle. I have to wait 15 seconds for it to spin up again every time I want to access a file on the drive. It's a really stupid, annoying feature. The one I had to RMA would spin down even if it was in the middle of copying files.

Edit: I just did some searching and I think the problem is with the enclosure case's bridgeboard and it's own crappy firmware, not the actual hard drive inside. I've never had a problem with internal seagate drives.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#20]

oops
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:00:22 AM EDT
[#23]
just because im a reseller doesn't mean i get the harddrives  cheaper, I might add.   Newegg and other places still have killer prices.  

alot of times motherboards and memory  i can get cheaper from newegg than some of our sources.  newegg is where i got my last system.    (shrug)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Maxtor and I love it.  I would use Seagate as well, I never had any problems with the internal drives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top