Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 3:04:58 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a method to detect boiling water inside a tank? Somehow detecting the turbulance of the water? Or just a way to detect if the tank is full or empty.

Conductivity detection cannot be used and floats cannot be used.

I was thinking of using halleffect detectors through the tank but I don't want to penitrate the tank if possible.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Thermometer? Thermistor?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Air pressure gauge? *shrug*
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#3]
A window?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Pressure gauge
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:23:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps a Dipstick
Dipstick

You could drop in a Tea Bag... and swirl it around for a minute or two?
see if you get a nice refreshing cup of Tea/ Sublingual Chemical Burns.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:26:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Do a search for 'Acoustic Boiling Detection'; you'll find what you are needing.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thermometer? Thermistor?

That is what I was thinking.  If the watter is 220 F it is probably boiling.  Unless this tank is pressurized.  pressure would change the boiling point enough to make a temp reading worthless in knowing if the water is boiling.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#8]
In a copy of this thread in the General Discussion forum, the poster finally revealed that what he wanted to do was make sure that the vessel didn't boil dry.

Once I saw that, I suggested that he rig a basic pressure sensor under the vessel.  Once the water starts to boil off the vessel will get lighter.  Set the sensor to trip when it reaches a set weight and BINGO.

Sound like a plan?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Needs more info on the tank and use.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#10]
If all you are worried about is tank level just use a float w/ magnet and a reed switch to indicate level or actuate fill valve as necessary.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If all you are worried about is tank level just use a float w/ magnet and a reed switch to indicate level or actuate fill valve as necessary.

Like a toilet tank.  I like it!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Does anyone know of a method to detect boiling water inside a tank? Somehow detecting the turbulance of the water? Or just a way to detect if the tank is full or empty.

Conductivity detection cannot be used and floats cannot be used.

I was thinking of using halleffect detectors through the tank but I don't want to penitrate the tank if possible.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but think the newer ones w/ the sliding float on the pole vs the swing arm type.
Duh, I read right through the part about no float. Comprehenshun iz kee!!!

How about ultrasonic detection from the exterior of the tank?  This is the same way we check
compressed gas cylinders for liquid level.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but think the newer ones w/ the sliding float on the pole vs the swing arm type.
Duh, I read right through the part about no float. Comprehenshun iz kee!!!

How about ultrasonic detection from the exterior of the tank?  This is the same way we check
compressed gas cylinders for liquid level.

How would you do the ultrasonic detection.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:38:57 AM EDT
[#16]
you can use several methods.
DP style liquid level transmitter
SOR ultrasonic  http://www.sorinc.com/FandB_LevelSwitch.stm#ls8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top