Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 7:18:52 AM EDT
I had 2 sticks of 128 MB RAM in my Puter PC100 Non-ECC.......I bought 3 sticks of 256 MB PC100 Non-ECC.

When I put more than one stick of 256 MB I get the "Dreaded Blue Screen of Death" I pull any extra out and it runs fine on 1 stickof 256MB.

The puter is rated for 3 sticks of 256, I checked on the Dell site.

Any ideas on how I can solve this, so I can run all 3 sticks?

I did not have any problems before the install. I have a Dell, XPS T700r.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Go into BIOS and lower the timings. I'd set the ram timings to normal. Bump up the CAS latency if there isn't an auto setting. Put it up to 2.5 or 3.0.

Good luck,
Steve
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Go into BIOS and lower the timings. I'd set the ram timings to normal. Bump up the CAS latency if there isn't an auto setting. Put it up to 2.5 or 3.0.

Good luck,
Steve

.OK so how do I do this??...............My Computer Fu is pretty weak.I just dont know how to get into what you are suggesting.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#3]
F2 will normally go into bios on a Dell

I'm looking at dell.com now for more detailed bios instructions for that model
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I got some bad sticks!!................I changed out the one 256 that I had in, with the machine working great.................Put in one of the other ones and I got a freeze up then the Blue Screen.

I put the first 256 stick back in plus  the 2 original 128 sticks and all seems to be running great.............So I really think I got 2 bad sticks of 256!!..........Is this unheard of??

I bought them from Tiger Direct....PNY brand....gonna call them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]
most likely your board will only handle 128mb chips.

look up on www.crucial.com  for the model number of your system.

it might work for a while but will probably lead to problems later

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

....Checked all that out before I bought the sticks, The puter is made to take 3  @256 checked and double checked to be sure......Thanks fort he thought.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

....Checked all that out before I bought the sticks, The puter is made to take 3  @256 checked and double checked to be sure......Thanks fort he thought.

Dell's info confirms that 256MB sticks will work
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not familiar with the Dell bios, as mentioned it is either F2 or delete at the initial startup screen.

Take out all the sticks. Put each stick in by itself and try to get the problem to occur again. If the errror happens for each stick, try switching the ram into a different one of the slots.

If you've found a bios support for your motherboard (they're all different) you should be able to loosen the timings to avoid the problem you are describing.

-Steve
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dell's info confirms that 256MB sticks will work

dells are very (memory chip) picky on certain systems.   some memory works well some don't

JME (just my experience)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top