Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 5:02:08 AM EDT
Last night I sat down to meet up with Team Sabre, go behind enemy lines, and blow up a few things. The entire mission had to be scrubbed when the game wouldn't boot up. I heard the CD drive start to accelerate, then slow down, then I think it just groaned.

Replacement time, or is there something I can do to fix it?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a replacement is in order

dvd-rw's are cheap get one of those
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I went to Best Buy and bought a Dynex DVD-ROM Drive (model DX-DVDR100 16X), and although it's been installed, my computer doesn't recognize it. The tray will pop out, but that's it. I tried playing the "Power DVD" that came with it, as well as a video game, but nothing happens. I've checked to make sure the installations were done right, but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. Do I need to download some driver or something? Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I went to Best Buy and bought a Dynex DVD-ROM Drive (model DX-DVDR100 16X), and although it's been installed, my computer doesn't recognize it. The tray will pop out, but that's it. I tried playing the "Power DVD" that came with it, as well as a video game, but nothing happens. I've checked to make sure the installations were done right, but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. Do I need to download some driver or something? Thanks in advance for any help.

Make sure the master/slave setting is right for the drive.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]
the little red line on the side of the cable goes towards the power connector.  also, look at the old drive and make sure the master/slave/cable select jumper is in the same position as on the old drive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#5]
does bios and/or the POST screens show it?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Translation, please!  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Translation, please!  

when you first power up your computer, do you see your new drive listed?

If you can get into bios (the screen says something like "..press DEL to enter setup" (or config)
look to see if BIOS show the drive.

I also recomend as suggested above, to check to see if your drive jumpers are properly set up.

Master/ Slave or CS (Cable Select)   do the same as the one you removed.  if you don't have it, try Master Or Cable select if it was the only drive attached to the cable going to the mother board.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Victory! Many thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Victory! Many thanks for all the help.

np... what was the fix?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I took it all out again, paying closer attention to "the little red line on the side of the cable," as well as looking over a diagram of the master/slave setting. I could have sworn I originally put those things back just like I found them before their removal, but apparently not.

I get reeeaalll nervous when it's time to "pop the top"  on my tower.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the little red line on the side of the cable goes towards the power connector.  also, look at the old drive and make sure the master/slave/cable select jumper is in the same position as on the old drive.

I WIN!!!              

So, what's my prize???

i hope it's like an Eotech or something...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top