Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 2:26:36 PM EDT
I found that I'll have an extra paycheck in a couple weeks, with no major bills due out of it, so I'm going to build a new PC.  

I've been running on a P4 2.4GHz machine for a while, and I need to step up.  I'm gonna go with AMD this time for the processor, as I should be able to get more bang for the buck.   I've been checking out Newegg.com, and found a case/power supply I like.  Gonna go with an ATX mid tower for upgradeability this time.  My curret box is a Shuttle XPC.  Good little box, but I want to be able to upgrade more.

The machine's use will be mostly gaming, even though I can't go top of the line on everything... I'm on a budget, but almost anything is going to be better than what I have now.  

I'm looking for a MB and proc.  I have a 60GB ATA133 drive I'm going to use (and upgrade later to SATA), and a decent 8x AGP video card (which will also be upgraded later)

So what I want in a CPU /MB:

Something that will perform considerably better than my old P4 with 333MHz DDR (1gb)
-1x 4-8x AGP slot
-at least 1 PCIe x16 slot (for future video card)
-ATA controller
-SATA controller (at least two channel, I may or may not do RAID 0 with two drives)
-Onboard NIC and sound
-a couple PCI slots

My total budget right now will be around $500 for it all, maybe more, so I'm not going TOP OF THE LINE, I'm going FOOT IN THE DOOR... I think just about anything will be better than what I have.  

The case I'm considering is the Thermaltake Soprano ($96, includes 430watt supply that supports SATA)

So maybe $200 or so for the proc, $100 for the MB and $100 for RAM

In addition to all this, I have a 15% discount code on Dell refurb monitors... I'm gonna score a E196FP for $227 (8ms response 19" LCD monitor)

I'm looking for recommendations on a system board and CPU.  Thanks guys!  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 mobo www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081 $65 only have this or ECS mobo with AGP and PCI-E.

AMD 3700+ San Diego Core Socket 939. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539 $233.

1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 memory (2x512MB) www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145450 $100

total $398
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
trgr, that's the mobo I was looking at... it gots what I need.   Newegg only has four mobos with AGP and a PCIe x16.  

I think the list you've put is probably what I'm gonna end up with.  The case I like is the Thermaltake Soprano ($96 from NewEgg)

I currently have a GeForce 6200 in my machine... I'm going to move that into the new machine temporarily... hopefully it'll run better!   Later on, I'll find a good PCIe video board, then later on, a better mobo.  

I'll post results when I get it all and get it together!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]

I wouldn't go with an AGP/PCIe MB now and then upgrade it again later. Go with a good PCIe MB and get a cheap PCIe Video card now if money is tight. Upgrade just the video card later.

Just my $ .02.

ps. I have the E196FP I bought from Dell as a refurb. Loving every minute of it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, but I disagree. Go with the ASRock board. It is awesome, and for the price you can't beat it. Loving mine more and more the longer I have it. This board will last you for  years if you know how to tweak it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Ranger,

That's likely the board I'll go with... Since I dropped some coin recently on a better video card in my current machine, and I'll be able to use it in the new machine.  

If you have any tips or tweaks for it, let me know!  I'd appreciate it!  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

They have a very long topic on the Dual Sata2. Lots of good OC info, among other things.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Taggage for a future build
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be ordering the parts on Friday, 2/24.  I'll pick up a mouse and keyboard locally, and I also need to get a CD/DVD drive.  Probably pick up a decent DVD burner, then later add a DVD reader (faster ripping DVD movies and stuff, you know?  hehe)

I'll post when I get it together.  

Any good benchmark programs I should run?  I'd like to compare it to my old machine.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#9]
New parts are ordered!  Should be here in a few days.  Got the MB, CPU and RAM listed above, with the Thermaltake Soprano case w/430W power supply.   Also ordered a new MS 5 button optical mouse, as I like the one I have, but one of the side buttons isn't working... the one I map to 'prone' in my games!  

I'm going to hold off on a nice monitor and new drives, but found that Newegg has a Hitachi 80GB SATA2 drive for $50, so I figure I'll score a couple of those and stripe them!  w00t!  

I'll post pics of the build here... if someone has any benchmarks to suggest, I'll run 'em.

For now, I'm gonna air cool, and maybe overclock the CPU a little bit, later on I'm gonna go water cooled and try to get more speed out of it.  I've read reviews of guys OCing this proc to 2.7GHz (from 2.2!), and it's stable, on air cooling!  

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The new machine is running!  I'm posting from it right now.  Everything went in and fired up on the first try, although I did get the power and HDD LEDs backwards.  Started booting to the OS I had left on the HDD when it was in the old machine!  

Nuked and paved, now I have XP reloaded, and installed CoD2, and was able to see definite improvement in performance.   I was able to bump the resolution up, and use some average settings, and got better framerates overall.  Still a little low in areas, but markedly better.  A new video board will be in my not SO distant future!  

Here's a couple pics:

Build was easy, didn't have to tweak much in the BIOS.  I'm going to look into overclocking a little bit to see if I can get a little more juice out of her.  The proc has been praised in many reviews as being 'made for overclocking' with people reporting stepping it up from 2.2GHz to 2.7GHz on the stock cooling solution without any problems.  Sounds nice if you ask me!  

Thanks for the advise and information!  

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm so uber-geek... I'm posting this from my new machine...

... running Windows Vista

I set it up as a dual boot with XP Pro and Vista, just to test. Vista looks cool, but it's a bit sluggish. It's going to require more video horsepower, and more overall horsepower, unless MS tweaks it a lot, which I hope they do. I've been poking around, checking out some of the things that have changed, and I think I'll like it. Except the stupid "allow/cancel" thing that pops up any time you try to run a program or open a configuration wizard or something. IE7 renders pages in a way that reminds me of Firefox on Linux. The text font is a little different... I do like it, tho.

Another bad thing, from a cold boot, Vista is using over 500MB. CPU usage is almost constantly around 10% while idle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#12]
high end system but you bought Value Ram.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
high end system but you bought Value Ram.  

I was on a budget!

I'm going to plan on getting some nicer RAM later on to put in Bank 1, and move the value RAM to bank 2.  

I really do need a better video card first.  I'm going to gank some OT and try to score a GeForce 7800GT soon.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#14]
im just picky is all  

you've got an awesome setup.  join us on BF2 sometime.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
First off, Matthew: How do you like the 3700+? I just ordered one, should be waiting for me when I get home.

cruze5: you know about the computer i'm throwing together, can you tell me about BF2? I've been thinking about getting it. I know my computer can handle it...but what's the game like?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
First off, Matthew: How do you like the 3700+? I just ordered one, should be waiting for me when I get home.

I'm diggin it.  I'm already overclocking it without problems.  Stock clock is 2.2GHz, and I've cranked it to 2.54GHz with no problems whatsoever.  Reviews rave that it is made for overclocking, and I'm agreeing.  Some have gotten it to 2.7GHz on the stock cooling solution and have no problems.  Also helps that my MB makes it easy to overclock the CPU.  

I definitely recommend that CPU if it's in your budget.  Overclock it a bit, and get a little more out of it!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Matt

Trust me on this - Video is EVERYTHING.

I have an 8x AGP 6200 512MB - and a 8x AGP 6600 256MB

The 6600 just trashes on the 6200.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

cruze5: you know about the computer i'm throwing together, can you tell me about BF2? I've been thinking about getting it. I know my computer can handle it...but what's the game like?

well our clan is about 90+ people.   the guys i game with are usually on EST 6:45pm till whenever.  about 10 or so of us are on at a time.   if you have't bought the game i would suggest downloading the demo.   But that doesn't do the game at all.   One you get multiplayer its a different story.   its very addicting.  

my 3k+ 1.5gb 3200 ram  and x850pro video card.  runs the game with all detail on high and 1280X1024 75Hz.  runs flawless.   now when you get to SF;  i at least have to turn the detail down abit.

Its well worth the money.   buy the game, join a squad.  capture the flags.   resupply/ heal your teammate.   ride APC, tanks, helis, jets and jetski's.   mutltiple different weapons, and vehicles.   you can't beat it.   buy the game join us on xfire.  thats how you find us online.   and use team speak to talk to teammates.  xfire and teamspeak info
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Matt

Trust me on this - Video is EVERYTHING.

I have an 8x AGP 6200 512MB - and a 8x AGP 6600 256MB

The 6600 just trashes on the 6200.

You're preachin to someone who's catching up to the choir.  I'm already planning on the purchase of a GeForce 7800GT.

Later on, I plan to get a different MB, and another 7800GT and SLI them.  w00t!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Say, what's a good utility to monitor CPU temperature from within the OS?   I want to see what my CPU gets to when I game, then crank up the clock a little more and see what it does.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Download MBM5 for monitoring your temps.  My OC'd 3000+ Venice @ 2.8GHZ hits around 35C full load and 27 C idle. For the benchmarking, try Sisoft Sandra.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Say, what's a good utility to monitor CPU temperature from within the OS?   I want to see what my CPU gets to when I game, then crank up the clock a little more and see what it does.  

I use speedfan. It monitors CPU temp, fan speeds, HDD temps, etc etc.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I've got a GeForce 7800GT on the way! (eVGA)  It also comes with a motherboard!  

I'll need to upgrade my power supply before I throw another video board in there, so the future upgrades will have to include one.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#24]
MOTHER FUCKING UPS SHIT ASS BASTARDS!!

They were supposed to deliver my new video card today, but the retard driver left my stuff at a UPS store, and the delivery is delayed until tomorrow.  This after I PAID extra for 2nd day delivery!  

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They were supposed to deliver my new video card today, but the retard driver left my stuff at a UPS store, and the delivery is delayed until tomorrow.  This after I PAID extra for 2nd day delivery!  

I HATE UPS.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I HATE UPS.

Those rat bastards!   I've had problems with FedEx, too.  Heck, the only courier I haven't had problems with was the USPS.  

Well, hopefully I'll get my stuff tomorrow.  I sent NewEgg an email.  I'm not dissatisfied with NewEgg, but I/they paid UPS to perform a job at a certain service level, and UPS dropped the ball.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I HATE UPS.

Those rat bastards!   I've had problems with FedEx, too.  Heck, the only courier I haven't had problems with was the USPS.  

Well, hopefully I'll get my stuff tomorrow.  I sent NewEgg an email.  I'm not dissatisfied with NewEgg, but I/they paid UPS to perform a job at a certain service level, and UPS dropped the ball.  

I'm still waiting to hear back from them for my claim on the monitor that UPS played kickball with.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#29]
CM,

How is your post relevant in this thread?    Just curious, as there really was no discussion of monitors, 64bit machines or Sun.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#31]
CJ,  just kinda had me thinking 'WTF?' when I read your post.  It's perfectly cool if you wanted to add to the discussion... it was just kinda worded or phrased like an unrelated tangent.  

Yeah, I know a nice CRT monitor would be the best for gaming.  However, my 1704FP does fine for me, and works well with my current furniture arrangement.  CRTs are just too big and burdensome, even at 17".   I am happy with the performance of my 1704 right now, even though I know many CRTs would do a bit better.  

Eventually I will be trying to find a larger flat panel, preferrably with a better refresh rate (found some with 8ms refresh rates) to take the place of my 1704 on my main box.    Again, my 'geography' or 'real estate' available will not allow for a huge monitor, so I'm going to be staying flat panel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#33]
MORE DOUCHBAGGERY

So I ordered my GeForce 7800GT from NewEgg as a combo with a motherboard.  Both eVGA items.  The MB supports SLI, and has a couple other goodies that put it a little ahead of the MB I currently have, so I though it would be a good deal, just throw it in and be ready for SLI later on.  Also has four actual SATA II ports, so I figured that would be good, I could put a nice fast SATA II hard drive in there.

I get the parts yesterday.  No motherboard.  

Email newegg with a 'wtf?' email.

They reply saying that you have to add the motherboard to your cart separately.  

WTF?

When I ordered this, I went to their site, searched for 7800GT, found the card listed AS A COMBO, and went to it's details and added it to my cart then proceeded to pay for it.   Nothing said anything about having to add the motherboard separately.  It was LISTED as a combo.  Honesly, I wouldn't have spent the $350 on just a card.  I would have gotten one for around $280-300 instead.  

I emailed them stating that the item was listed AS A COMBO, and expected to GET the COMBO.  I've spent over $850 with them over the last couple weeks, and have spent a like amount a couple years ago on my previous machine.  

We'll see what they say.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I hope it works out on the combo.

I had ordered a Toshiba Tecra laptop and 1 gb of ram for an order of well over $1k, and was planning on ordering a 19" LCD and the toshiba dock at a later time. Before my laptop arrived, I saw that they made a combo deal of the laptop and the dock, I tried and tried to get the combo price on the dock (which was a $50 savings) and they would not budge cause it was not on the original order. While I like dealing with Newegg, and recommend them to everyone I know, they can be a little anal.

I did buy the 19" LCD and the dock at a later time, from Newegg.

I have spent in excess of $10K with them over the last 3 years.

dave
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yeah, but you're always stuck with the native resolution of an LCD display unless you don't mind aliasing when running at a different resolution.     I just won't put up with that,  and I don't like the slow
pixel response time of LCDs, and my desk has always been set up for CRT monitors so I have no space issues.  I run TWO 21" Suns as I mentioned above.    It's a sweet setup.   It does require a well built
desk, though.   They're not LIGHTWEIGHT monitors.

And both were FREE.  

CJ

LCD's might be a little slower than a CRT, but I have an 8ms 17" LCD and for gaming it's perfectly fine. I run the game at 1280x1024, and also my desktop at 1280x1024. Using decent graphics hardware, you can run your game at the LCD native resolution, and take no performance hit at all. I get no ghosting or anything on my LCD. I have a 17" flat CRT monitor as well, and I prefer the LCD. Looks better, both aesthetically and what is displayed on the screen. Weighs less, takes up less space, and all around a better choice for me.

As far as the SGI 64 bit...those things are wicked quick, in my opinion. I know a guy who has a SGI 64 bit running solaris. Probably one of the fastest computers i've ever come in contact with. It's probably 10 years old, or older by now, and I still say that about it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Got an email from Newegg.  They're setting up an order for the motherboard.  In the previous email, they had offered me a $20 credit to be used on any future order, and still offered it to me after setting up the board.  

I'm satisfied, they did what should have been done, IMHO.  I didn't really want to keep the $20 credit, I just wanted the board.

But I think I will use the $20 credit and order a decent SATA drive from them soon.    
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
SUNs run Solaris.  Solaris can also be run on a PC.

SGI boxes run IRIX.

I don't think Solaris will run on an SGI.

Having gotten my feet wet with an R5000 O2,  I'm now on the hunt for a full-blast 333 MHz R12K
equipped model.    Those scream even by modern standards.

I just barely got comfortable with Windows and now I have both SGI and SUN boxes to play with
and learn about at the same time.

I've also been looking to upgrade my PC and I'm using your experiences as a guide.   I really can't
complain about a P4 2 GHZ PC with a gig of ram,   it's actually quite fast even now as it's running
on a fresh install (xp) and I don't install software I'm not going to use,  but it's about time for an upgrade.

CJ

Well, as far as the solaris running on the SGI, i saw it with my own two eyes. This guy had so many computers it was unreal. Not home built jobs either, high end shit. SGI workstations and 20+ processor ubercomputers and shit. Crazy stuff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Man, this 7800GT ROCKS!!

I cranked it to 1280x1024 (native for my lcd) and it's hauling ass.  It's so beautiful in the game!  It's like a new game!  

I'm glad I thought of it!  hehehe
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:06:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top