Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 5:46:31 PM EDT
Hello All

I am finally upgrading from dial up to DSL, woot woot.

My wife has a wireless lap top with a built in 802.11g network card.

The DSL modem uses USB. My idea was to use Windows Internet Connection Sharing and a NIC to share the connection to a wire and wireless router / hub (I can't remember the difference something about OSI network levels?). That way my wife can share my connection.

Can I do that? Would that work? I know you don't need a static IP for Windows ICS, it runs some sort of server on the PC.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
what you really need to do is.  

use ethernet cables not usb.   you will replace the usb cable from the dsl modem, and use a ethernet cable.   plug that cable into the WAN port of a cable/dsl wireless router.   plug the wired computer into port 1 on the router.    and the wireless system will be wireless

i use linksys wrt54g routers for home use
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top