Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 9:20:31 PM EDT
I have no issues with the nuts and bolts part of a build, but am concerned about what to expect in the way of resolving conflicts, driver updates, reinstalling the operating system a half dozen times, etc.  How much of a PITA?

Say a budget of $1500 gaming build, new quality parts from reputable vendors, no networking or high-speed connections.

I only have dialup at home (location & cost) but can abuse the work laptop to move large files if absolutely necessary.  Would still have the old desktop to google and serach help forums.

Any advice - just starting to rough out a parts list.

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Once I had all the parts on my bench, I assembled the hardware, installed the operating system and drivers associated with special peripherals (video card, sound card, etc.), and got it up and running in 2 hours.  Took another hour to download updated drivers and fine-tune stuff until I had it running like a champ.

Much agony was avoided by:
1. Doing a pile of research up front. Make sure all the parts will work together. Not all RAM, CPUs and video cards are created equal and not all play well together.
2. Ordering from a reputable seller, like www.newegg.com.They can save you much money and, if you need to return a defective part, they are prompt and courteous.
3. Reading every manual for every part before you pick up a screwdriver. Have a game plan for assembly.
4. Clearing your workbench. Have the correct tools on hand. No special tools are usually needed.
5. Blocking out the time to do it and plan on having fun. If you have a wife and kids, send them to a movie. For your second build, have any interested parties "help" depending on their age.

Your mileage may, of course, vary.

Please keep us up on how this goes.  It is sometimes very entertaining, usually interesting and always informative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top