Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 9:34:18 AM EDT
I am considering replacing my video card.  

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop.  It has a 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 process and 1.256 Gb of memory.

Is it easy to replace the video card or is it not worth the trouble?

I know that I have to remove the display and the keyboard, but will there be anything that is more difficult after that or is it plug and play?  Also, will it immediately recognize the video card and run it, or will I have to install the drivers and everything prior to changing video cards?

What type of interface should I look for in a new video card?  

Is there any other information that I left out that might be pertenant?

Thanks.

ETA: I don't suppose that I would be lucky enough for there to be video cards that connect via a USB port?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop.  It has a 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 process and 1.256 Gb of memory.

I know that I have to remove the display and the keyboard, but will there be anything that is more difficult after that or is it plug and play?  Also, will it immediately recognize the video card and run it, or will I have to install the drivers and everything prior to changing video cards?

Thanks.

ETA: I don't suppose that I would be lucky enough for there to be video cards that connect via a USB port?

You aren't going to have much luck at all with replacing a video card on a laptop.  Most are built directly into the motherboard.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

You aren't going to have much luck at all with replacing a video card on a laptop.  Most are built directly into the motherboard.

+1

You are out of luck.  Laptops = teh evil for upgrading most anything internal to the machine.

If you had a desktop, it would be easy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You can still play 2D games like Starcraft, Diablo1, 2 and the like, as well as older,
less intensive 3D games like Quake.
Don't expect miracles, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top