Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 7:55:16 PM EDT
I am thinking of building my own P.C. however money is pretty tight.

I will be buying this piece by piece.

What order would you do it in?

I will be using my 250 gig hard drive that I have now as a back up drive(same as I use it now)

I don't need top of the line super speed I just want something that beats mine now which is a fatory built HPa282n.

I would like ALOT of hard drive space so multiple drive(atleast 2 maybe 3)

good amount of ram, nice motherboard,good sound card and video i will spend most of my money on since i would like to run 2 video cards so i can run two monitors (later on)

Any ideas hints tips or advice would be great.

thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
For some items, the prices drop almost monthly while the speed goes up.  Things like the CPU/mobo and the video card would be the last to buy.  The case, power supply, optical drive, keyboard, mouse...those would be first.  Memory, LCD monitors, and hard drives in the middle or near the end.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool I was looking at the external D.V.D. drives and stuff the other day.I will use my Keyboard,mouse,monitor and stuff I have now.Is it possible to use the case and powersupply I have now or should I just start from scratch?

I really clueless since I have never built my own before.

thanks
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what you've got now and what you want to do.

1. Case - Does it have the bays to hold the optical drives and multiple hard drives you want to mount? Does it support the motherboard form factor?

2. Power Supply - These days, 350 watts is the minimum. I'd spend a little more and go 450 watts and get a high qulaity power supply.  Don't cheap out in this area.

In the best "get both!" tradition of AR15.com, I'm going to suggest that you keep the current unit and build a second from parts--especially if all you are going to recycle is the case and power supply.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Started mine with a good aluminum case with plenty of fans.  Power supply next.  After that I sat and waited for good buys at Newegg.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Good PSUs

Just to list some

Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, OCZ, Enermax.

Avoid using those PSUs that comes with cases. THey are usually crap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top