Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 11:07:38 PM EDT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At work (non IT, non-tech work), we have a computer. My boss wants me to set up user accounts, the admin will need internet use priviledges, but the other account will only be able to use the computer for office tasks, printing signs etc (microsoft office, etc).

How do I do this?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Quick and dirty method.

Find the IE exe, usually in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer,
right click the exe, select Properties, and go to the
Security tab, then select the Users or Groups
that you don't want to use IE and check the box that says
Deny for the Read & Execute line. Don't forget to hit the Apply button.
That should do it.

couple of questions:

1) Could they somehow install another browser covertly and then be on the internet?
2) couold they use chat or messenger software?
3) I can't find the IE exe, and none of the files have the "security tab" in the properties box.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
1.delete tcp/ip for those user accounts.  

or   2.         use tcp/ip filtering.   disable port 80,25,443,21,22,23 etc etc

open control panel  open lan connections.  >  click properties > double click tcp/ip >  click advanced > click options  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]
What happened to my posts in this thread?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

ahahahahahaha..... they are here, you fruit loop.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=432285
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure you could change the permissions on iexplore.exe so that only certain people can have "Execute" permissions.

Annother solution:
Start, Run, GPEDIT.MSC

User Configuration, Administrative Templates, System

There is a policy setting named "Run only allowed windows applications" and "Don't run specified Windows Applications"  This of course would restrict ALL users from using any application other than specified.  An administrator could unlock the policy by opening gpedit.msc and right clicking on the "Local Computer Policy" and checking the "disable" check boxes.  The administrator would need to remember to un-check those boxes later to ensure the security was turned back on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ahahahahahaha..... they are here, you fruit loop.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=432285

Thanks Okie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top