Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 1:41:50 PM EDT
I currently have two 512mb sticks in my system. Today I bought a 1gb stick to bring my total RAM to 2gb. When I installed the 1gb stick, I turned the computer on and no video signal came through onto the moniter. Then I took out the two 512mb sticks and put the 1gb stick in and it works. The problem is that I cant get a video signal with all three sticks in.

Yes they are the same type.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Need more info.

At least:
Motherboard
Processor
Memory type

It my be the motherboard requires memory in pairs or does not support 2GB.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Need more info.

At least:
Motherboard
Processor
Memory type

It my be the motherboard requires memory in pairs or does not support 2GB.

Gigabyte K8NSC socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 3200
512 corsair pc3200
512 mushkin pc3200
1gb kingston pc3200
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
That motherboard supports up to 4GB of PC 3200…

BUT I looked at the manual and the motherboard appears NOT to support 3 memory modules. The manual has a chart that indicates the system will not boot with 3 memory modules.

It does appear to support 1, 2, and 4 modules.

If I remember right this is a function of the memory controller on the AMD Athlon 64 processor. The memory controller is on the CPU and not the motherboard. Or in other words not something Giga-byte did.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
just another excuse to buy more RAM, thank you so much!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I would HIGHLY sugegst not having that many different manufactures of your RAM. Sell the 2 512mb sticks and get a matching 1gig stick.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would HIGHLY sugegst not having that many different manufactures of your RAM. Sell the 2 512mb sticks and get a matching 1gig stick.

Is there a reason for this, educate me please
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Different RAM timings force your computer to run at the loweset timing for the slowest RAM stick even if other RAM sticks are faster.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
That MB can run dual channel memory (better), to do that you need matching pairs...... Best bet is to get rid of the 2 512mb sticks and buy a cop of theat  1gig stick, and use slots 1 and 2 for dual channel...  All around better....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Different RAM timings force your computer to run at the loweset timing for the slowest RAM stick even if other RAM sticks are faster.

-Foxxz

Making a good point…

AND

Mixing memory brands/types can also sometime induce instability that can pop up at the oddest times. Weather this happens or not depends on a few things… the memory, motherboard, bios, processor… it can be a crap shoot so it is better not to test fate.

If you do buy another 1 GB stick try and get exactly the same kind as the first.

ETA: Having said that I have mixed memory on several Athlon socket 939 motherboards and gotten away with it, the 2 512 MB memory modules you have may get along together fine with the new memory… you can always get a new 1 GB and also try the 2 512 MB sticks and see if it works and the system is stable… if it is stable then good, if it is not you will not be out anything as you were stuck with the memory anyway.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Definitely the solution.

Helps assure that they run at the same timings.

Some motherboards have problems with mixed ram sizes as well, such as if you were to have 2 slots with 512 each and 2 slots with 1024 each.

Go for 2 slots filled with 1024 each and call it good.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#12]
To the thread poster:

Dude I have the same setup as you and if you only knew the gem you have ready to be unleashed.

Sell all that RAM, you don't know how much it hurts you to run your ram from different manufactures AND different sizes.

Buy this www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021 RAM, go into your BIOS, setup the AGP clock to 67mhz, this will lock your agp from overclocking when you up your speeds(common mistake people make when trying to overclock).

Set you HTT to x3

Leave all your voltages stock.

Boot into windows, run clock gen.
Go into the "Clock" section in clock gen and move your HTT to "250". Hit set values.

You are now running your 2.0 processor at 2.5ghz and your RAM is now DRR 500 ram.
Get a good video card like a 850XT or a 6800GT/Ultra and you now have a badass gaming rig.

You can even play with runnig the HTT to 260 or 270 putting your processor at 2.6 or 2.7 ghz and even pushing your ram further to DDR550 speeds.

The beauty about using a overclocking program in widows like clockgen is if you push it to far (260-270HTT) and it freezes, big deal. HIt the reset button and start over again. All overclocking is applied in windows.

GL and Im me if you try it and have troubles, it really easy and if it doesn't work, there is only a few more settings to check to make sure dfault when you put the ram in.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
To the thread poster:

Dude I have the same setup as you and if you only knew the gem you have ready to be unleashed.

Sell all that RAM, you don't know how much it hurts you to run your ram from different manufactures AND different sizes.

Buy this www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021 RAM, go into your BIOS, setup the AGP clock to 67mhz, this will lock your agp from overclocking when you up your speeds(common mistake people make when trying to overclock).

Set you HTT to x3

Leave all your voltages stock.

Boot into windows, run clock gen.
Go into the "Clock" section in clock gen and move your HTT to "250". Hit set values.

You are now running your 2.0 processor at 2.5ghz and your RAM is now DRR 500 ram.
Get a good video card like a 850XT or a 6800GT/Ultra and you now have a badass gaming rig.

You can even play with runnig the HTT to 260 or 270 putting your processor at 2.6 or 2.7 ghz and even pushing your ram further to DDR550 speeds.

The beauty about using a overclocking program in widows like clockgen is if you push it to far (260-270HTT) and it freezes, big deal. HIt the reset button and start over again. All overclocking is applied in windows.

GL

Dont buy the GSkill.  Terrible stuff.  Stick with quality, like OCZ, Mushkin, or Corsair.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Bah, why pay more for the same stuff(but I will say the competing OCZ ram does have a rebate that makes it within $10 of the G.skill stuff, lasts till the 15th or something then its back to $40-$50 for the same thing) .

Every manfacture makes bad batches of this high end ram, just look at all the review on newegg for the popular ram. You'll see guys go from go from one brand to the other cause they caught a bad batch.

I've heard some guy say that G.Skill has a direct RMA policy and issues shipping tags and all, just like dealing with a gun manufacture really.
No need to go through reseller.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top