Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 4:56:26 PM EDT
I would like to try overclocking my system however i am a dumbass when it comes to doing this.

I have read a few diffrent websites on this and i'm missing something.

can someone gimmie a hand with this in PLAIN ENGLISH instead of tech-speak.

my system is the HP Pavilion a282n

hp's webpage on my system specs

thanks.

the only diffrence in my system is a Radeon 9200 video card.I tried to add memory but the PC3200 i was told to buy didn't work seems i need pc2700 and before i spend any money on memory i'm just gonna build a new system down the road a bit and just wanna see what overclocking is all about.

I would also like to be able to do this without blowing this thing up till i have the money saved up if that's not possible i'll skip it.

thanks
mike
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely, you will never be able to overclock that sytem.  Companies like HP, Compaq, Dell, etc, make it extremely hard, if not impossible, to overclock.

If you had a halfway decent motherboard, overclocking is usually as easy as getting some good quality memory, and overclocking the front side bus of the memory.  Since CPU multipliers are tied to the FSB, overclocking the memory also overclocks the CPU.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool thanks for the answer................guess i'll just save some coin and build a new one later on.

thanks

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would like to try overclocking my system however i am a dumbass when it comes to doing this.

open the gas port up and use a lighter weight buffer!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#4]
For gaming, if you replace that 9200 with something like a 9800Pro/XT, 6600GT, 6800GT, X800XL, or higher, you'll notice some huge increases in gaming performance.  Like night-and-day type differences (in 3D gaming).  Also load up the system memory.  Beyond that, you're likely looking for a new system.

PC3200 should be fine, chances are you had a "bad batch"...hehe

If it's not for gaming performance increases, loading up the memory will help a little depending on where you are now.  If you're at 256, it'll help a lot.  If you're at 512, then it'll help in certain applications like video editing, etc...it'll be significant, but not a ton.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top