Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 9:27:35 PM EDT
title about says it all.what type of system could i build for around 1000 to 2000 i already have a decent keyboard and mouse. and should not need to change the monitor yet.

im going to this part by part.m

what would be some reccomendations.

im thinking amd but i have never built one from scratch before i know how to put memory ,video and sound cards in.

thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cpu www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529
motherboard. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131568 or
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127206
hard drives. 1 or 2 of these www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160
memory. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145594
video card.  www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130248
psu.  www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151025

ty that was quick i am going to get the things part by part. but this looks interesting.

what case would be good.

I really like the Thermaltake Armor full tower case I just picked up.  HUGE
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on how much you want to spend I think the AMD Venice core CPUs are the best bang for your buck. They had a 3200+ hanging with an FX55 in real game performance, not number crunching. It impressed enough where that was my choice for my new system with plenty of room with the 939 Socket to upgrade where I was trapped with my Socket A system.

I currently have my 3200+ OCed to 2.55 ghz from 2.0, rock stable in Battlefield 2 for hours.

Let me know if you have any questions, I just finished my rig.

Oh Antec P180 for a case, expensive but you get what you pay for, pretty heavy though. I can elaborate if your interested, look around on Newegg.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah i got tired of the bs computer companys do so i decided it was time to start getting the parts together to build a game system i wont have to redo in a year or 2.

what ever suggestions you guys or gals got let me have them i know about new egg is there other websites you reccomend or is newegg considered to be the best.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Depending on how much you want to spend I think the AMD Venice San Diego core CPUs are the best bang for your buck.

fixed

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
yeah i got tired of the bs coptuer companys do so i decided it was time to start getting the parts together to build a game system i wont have to redo in a year or 2.

what ever suggestions you guys or gals got let me have them i know about new egg is there other websites you reccomend or is newegg considered to be the best.

Newegg is the best, no doubt about it.  Awesome customer service, fast shipping, and a wide variety of stuff.

Zipzoomfly is okay, but certainly isnt newegg.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yeah i got tired of the bs coptuer companys do so i decided it was time to start getting the parts together to build a game system i wont have to redo in a year or 2.

Newegg is the best, no doubt about it.  Awesome customer service, fast shipping, and a wide variety of stuff.

Will certainly testify to that.

If you have a Fry's electronics nearby, their prices *sometimes* beats Neweggs prices.

I build using ASUS mainboards.  The latest I built for myself was an A8N-E and is an excellent board.

I would highly going ahead with SATA II drives, for a little extra you get a bit better performance.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will certainly testify to that.

If you have a Fry's electronics nearby, their prices *sometimes* beats Neweggs prices.

I build using ASUS mainboards.  The latest I built for myself was an A8N-E and is an excellent board.

I would highly going ahead with SATA II drives, for a little extra you get a bit better performance.

is the mainboard you used.

A8N-E

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ty that was quick i am going to get the things part by part. but this looks interesting.

what case would be good.

huge is not the word for that case compared to mine it is humgorus.i have i think i mid tower.

is this the ones your talking about i like  this one.

case 1

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#11]
pricewatch is your friend. just make sure that you read the fine print.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#12]
To save some money,

Consider the AMD 64 3700+ San Diego.

Geforce 6800GS or 6800GT, still damn fast.

Take the money saved to get yourself something like 2 gigs of PC3200 RAM, I went with Crucial at 100 bucks per gig.

Then look into a nice harddrive, motherboard, and case.

For case/power supply, I went with a LianLi case and a Seasonic 430watt PSU.

My total cost on my build was barely 1200 bucks and it runs very nicely.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what case would be good.

huge is not the word for that case compared to mine it is humgorus.i have i think i mid tower.

case 1

Yep, thats the one, only I just got the aluminum version, much lighter than that one.

I am going to use the sytem I am building now as a LAN party system, with an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Athlon64 4000+, 7800GTX, 2 gigs of Mushkin RAM, and a PC Power & Cooling Power Supply.

By the way, if you want the best motherboard (you should always spare no expense on the motherboard, even if you go cheap on everything else), check out the A8N32-SLi Deluxe.  The only board out that will run two cards in SLi in x16 mode rather than x8 mode.  Best board there is, but very hard to find.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what case would be good.

case 1

Yep, thats the one, only I just got the aluminum version, much lighter than that one.

I am going to use the sytem I am building now as a LAN party system, with an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Athlon64 4000+, 7800GTX, 2 gigs of Mushkin RAM, and a PC Power & Cooling Power Supply.

By the way, if you want the best motherboard (you should always spare no expense on the motherboard, even if you go cheap on everything else), check out the A8N32-SLi Deluxe.  The only board out that will run two cards in SLi in x16 mode rather than x8 mode.  Best board there is, but very hard to find.

Yup, but also can be very $$$ to setup a SLI comp.

Can be worth the extra $$$, but still...  

And to get in on the action, I recommend Antec Sonata II case.  Very nice and very quiet.

But if you are overclocking, you might want something with more fans.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what case would be good.

case 1

mom likes the case i showed you thats why i used that one she said cool with her being disabled the computer is the only fun she has that or resting in bed.

so since she is on the puter more than i am with me just getting back to work i want it to be something she dont mind see every day.

how much of a weight difference is there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what case would be good.

case 1

how much of a weight difference is there.

The black (steel) version - 36 pounds

The Silver (aluminum) version - 16 pounds

So yeah, a lot of difference.  20 pounds lighter.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah that is alot of weight hmmmmm may have to go look at the lighter one again.

what would be a good operating system i was thinking windows xp but im not sure thats what im using now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm using that MB and CPU. I couldn't be happier. mmk

Here is the system I just put together, to go to LAN parties with (my main system is watercooled and I HATE unhooking and moving everything).

Specs are -

Asus A8n-SLI Premium (I couldnt get an another AN32, but my other system which is SLI has one)
Athlon64 4000+ San Diego core
Thermalright XP-120 heatsink with a Panaflo 120mm fan (keeps the CPU at around 25C idle, 29-30C load)
2gb Crucial PC3200
eVGA GeForce 7800GTX with AC3 cooling
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Asus DVD burner
Plextor DVD Burner
WD Raptor 36.6 gb 10,000 RPM hard drive SATA
WD 200gb Hard Drive SATA
Seagate 250gb Hard Drive SATA
Thermaltake 500w Sli PSU
Thermaltake Armor Aluminum case
Viewsonic VX924 LCD monitor
Razor Copperhead mouse
Logitech G15 gaming keyboard

All that I got for about 1900, which included shipping.  A lot of stuff I got kind of cheap with an employee discount (like the 1gig sticks of ram, for $60 each), but that is certainly what you can expect to get with a budget of 1000 to 2000.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#20]
adair_usmc that system looks cool and it is the  price range i was looking for like i said im doing it part by part and now that ive seen the silver looking case im starting to like it more ty for posting pics.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is the system I just put together, to go to LAN parties with (my main system is watercooled and I HATE unhooking and moving everything).

img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/adairtd/DSC00573.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/adairtd/DSC00583.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/adairtd/DSC00586.jpg

Specs are -

Asus A8n-SLI Premium (I couldnt get an another AN32, but my other system which is SLI has one)
Thermalright XP-120 heatsink with a Panaflo 120mm fan (keeps the CPU at around 25C idle, 29-30C load)
2gb Crucial PC3200
Asus DVD burner
Plextor DVD Burner
WD 200gb Hard Drive SATA
Thermaltake 500w Sli PSU
Razor Copperhead mouse

All that I got for about 1900, which included shipping.  A lot of stuff I got kind of cheap with an employee discount (like the 1gig sticks of ram, for $60 each), but that is certainly what you can expect to get with a budget of 1000 to 2000.

I don't think you realize how important the ram is to complete your system.

This is the bes Ram right now for the money if want lower latencys with 2gigs of ram.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231032

If you want crazy overclocking ram but damn the timings(latency) get this www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

Sell off your current sticks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/adairtd/DSC00573.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/adairtd/DSC00583.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/adairtd/DSC00586.jpg

Specs are -

2gb Crucial PC3200
Asus DVD burner
Plextor DVD Burner
WD 200gb Hard Drive SATA
Thermaltake 500w Sli PSU
Razor Copperhead mouse

I don't think you realize how important the ram is to complete your system.

This is the bes Ram right now for the money if want lower latencys with 2gigs of ram.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231032

If you want crazy overclocking ram but damn the timings(latency) get this www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

Sell off your current sticks.

I know exactly how important RAM is to me, please dont patronize me.

I have forgotten more about this ram latencies and overclocking than most will ever know.

GSkill ram isnt even remotely close to anything you could call "Quality" or "Best".  Real tweakers run Mushkin, or OCZ.

Those were cheap, that system is my secondary, slow LAN party system.  That stuff works fine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#23]
O chill out, please dont take it as a threat, that's just crazy talk.

Anyways, I guess what I'm saying is, why spend $1900 and put cheap valueram in it?

Also, that 4000+ isn't a good overclocker if you decided to go there.
It's a 1meg cache and those don't overclock as well.

What is your 3Dmark05 score if you don't mind me asking?

That videocard sounds awesome.

I really like the 7800 series of cards.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
O chill out, please dont take it as a threat, that's just crazy talk.

Anyways, I guess what I'm saying is, why spend $1900 and put cheap valueram in it?

Also, that 4000+ isn't a good overclocker if you decided to go there.
It's a 1meg cache and those don't overclock as well.

What is your 3Dmark05 score if you don't mind me asking?

That videocard sounds awesome.

I really like the 7800 series of cards.

Not a good overclocker huh?  So going from 2.4 to 3.2 Ghz on that exact chip isnt a good overclock?
San Diego core A64s are the best overclockers of all of them.  My other system, a San Diego core FX-57, overclocks to crazy high speeds, on water.

I ran 3dmark on it today, cause I got the same question, and it got 9459 in 3dmark05.

$1900 is nothing really, that is  value system to me.  Plus I got a discount on the RAM, through work.  Crucial RAM with the real micron chips overclocks rather well, and I can get 255 Mhz FSB just fine with that exact RAM.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#25]
That's pretty good on the processor.

I may have to go back and check the facts on that one.

BUT, I will say you do have alot more potential out of that system cause I could build a computer that pulls at 10000 (and more like in the 11000-12000) 3dmark05 score for about $13000-$14000 with your same videocard($650-$750 half the cost of the computer).

Hell I can pull almost a 7000 3dmark05 and my computer only costed me $800.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That's pretty good on the processor.

I may have to go back and check the facts on that one.

BUT, I will say you do have alot more potential out of that system cause I could build a computer that pulls at 10000 3dmark05 score for about $13000-$14000 with your same videocard($650-$750 half the cost of the computer).

Its not hard to hit 10000 on 3dmark05 - just run SLI, like my other system

I can bust the 12,000 point on 3dmark05 and the 28,000 mark on 3dMark03 all day with that system.

Pain in the ass to take to LAN parties, due to the water cooling system.  Which is why I built that one.  This machine is a tad out of the original posters budget I think
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#27]
That is pretty hardcore I must say.

I'd like to get into that someday but the fact that the stuff gets so outdated so fast has held me back.

I guess some of us just have more money to blow then others.

BTW, SLI with those cards should net you the 12,000+ range.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
That is pretty hardcore I must say.

I'd like to get into that someday but the fact that the stuff gets so outdated so fast has held me back.

I guess some of us just have more money to blow then others.

BTW, SLI with those cards should net you the 12,000+ range.

In reality though, benchmarks dont mean squat.

You ought to see that thing play F.E.A.R., either of them for that matter
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:55:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#30]
People say that all the time but in reality they DO mean alot.

It is a benchmark to gauge generally how a machine will run.

For example, if benchmarks didn't mean anything, then we'd see machines pulling 4000 3dmark05 scores running FEAR at full AA and full graphic options.

But you don't cause we all know that a score of 4000 means just an OK computer.

Now if we're talking the difference between a score of 10000 and 11000, then yes a benchmark wouldn't mean much but you could already assume the machine pulling the 11000 score has better hardware or has been tuned out well.

So in the end, benchmarks DO mean something.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
People say that all the time but in reality they DO mean alot.

It is a benchmark to gauge generally how a machine will run.

For example, if benchmarks didn't mean anything, then we'd see machines pulling 4000 3dmark05 scores running FEAR at full AA and full graphic options.

But you don't cause we all know that a score of 4000 means just an OK computer.

Now if we're talking the difference between a score of 10000 and 11000, then yes a benchmark wouldn't mean much but you could already assume the machine pulling the 11000 score has better hardware or has been tuned out well.

So in the end, benchmarks DO mean something.

Not really.

Do you play your benchmark?  If so, what level are you on?

In reality, they do not do much to tell you how your system will run, especially with optimizations.

If you want to run a REAL benchmark, use a game that has one built in, like UT2k4's timedemo (outdated), or HL2 the lost coast torture test.  That is more of a real bench to see how the system will run, not the biased 3dmark.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I can agree with that to a point.

My point was that a 3dmark05 score will give you a general idea of the computer and what it'll do.

After you start learning all the average score for each generation of hardware you can actually get a good idea how a machine will run.

Game benchmarks are not fool proof either you know.

For example, the unreal engine just runs better on nvidia cards, proven fact.

How would this bench mark be a NON-BIAS example then?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

For example, the unreal engine just runs better on nvidia cards, proven fact.

How would this bench mark be a NON-BIAS example then?

Because its a REAL game, something that is on the market.  If the benchmarking utilities were so foolproof, then why would reviewers even bother to test the six or so games that are usually tested when a new video card is reviewed?

Every graphics engine has its own hardware that it "likes" to run on.  Doom3 and Quake 4 will always run better on nvidia hardware, but games like Serious Sam II and the Source engine run better on ATI.

They dont re-use 3dmark engines for other products anymore.  When you test with 3dmark, you get an idea of what your system will do - on 3dmark.  But if you test with Quake 4, Half-Life 2, you will get an idea of how your system runs on the Doom3 engine, and the Source engine, respectively.  Therefore if the card did really well with both of those, then it should be great for future titles running on either of those engines, within reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top