Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 8:22:30 AM EDT
A friend of mine told that when you upgrade to XP you have to do a clean install.  Basically, the XP install disk will ask to "see" the Win2K disk and once it recognizes it, you remove the Win2K disk and continue the install.

Is this correct?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#1]
you can upgrade from 2k to xp home using a XP home upgrade cd.    

or you can usie the xp home upgrade cd.  on a computer with no OS.    start the install fron the xp upgrade cd.   it will get to a point to check if you have a previous OS.   put in the 2k cd.   it will verify and then start the fresh install of xp home.    
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

or you can usie the xp home upgrade cd.  on a computer with no OS.    start the install fron the xp upgrade cd.   it will get to a point to check if you have a previous OS.   put in the 2k cd.   it will verify and then start the fresh install of xp home.    

That is what I was talking about.  Thanks for confirming that.  I'll go ahead with partitioning and formatting.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I just did the same thing with a fresh install on a new hard drive. Worked like a dream.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top