Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 5:50:31 PM EDT
Do any of you have experience with XP Media Center 2005 Edition?
Can it compare to XP Professional?

Reason for asking is that I got burned big time with MS's Windows ME
pile of steaming crap.  Fought the good fight with it, but finally had
to surrender and install XP Pro.

Is Media Center another half-baked MS OS like ME was?

Thanks,
DanM
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
They removed media player from it due to european monopoly sanctions.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
It is closer to home edition than XP Pro
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have installed media center on several computer.  I have no complaints so far
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Media center is good, same OS at the core as any other XP, the 2k4 version was actually Pro + the media center stuff, the 2k5 is kinda half way inbetween. Unless you know you need to have Pro, MCE will work fine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.
But I admit a bit of confusion...

They removed MediaPlayer, but call the OS
MediaCenter.  Is this more MS double-speak?

And what would stop me from downloading
MediaPlayer?

DanM
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:31:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
MediaPlayer?

DanM

nothing, it resulted in the removal of media player as a standard piece of the OS.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks guys.

MediaPlayer?

DanM

I have MCE2005 (in the UK, so I don't know if it's different in the US) - and it has media player already installed as well as the 'Media Center' app. It's built on XP Pro (with IIS, unlike XP Home), but you can't join it to a domain, unlike XP Pro....

Nick
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks guys.

MediaPlayer?

DanM

I have MCE2005 (in the UK, so I don't know if it's different in the US) - and it has media player already installed as well as the 'Media Center' app. It's built on XP Pro (with IIS, unlike XP Home), but you can't join it to a domain, unlike XP Pro....

Nick

i have no idea what they are talking about either.  it has a meda player but its not called windows media player.   media center player or something like that
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind the MCE is a purpose built OS. It is meant for entertainment computers, HTPC's, PVR's, MP3 jukebox, DVD player...

If you just need an OS there is no need for all the extra stuff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks guys.

MediaPlayer?

DanM

Nick

i have no idea what they are talking about either.  it has a meda player but its not called windows media player.   media center player or something like that

Maybe the US version is different - I have the 'new' media center player that fills the screen and is like a set-top box - and I also have the standard Windows Media Player (version 10).

I've yet to find anything that doesn't work on MCE2005 - to the point of running Visual Studio, SQL Server (Dev edition) and IIS on the same system...

Nick
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
lots of misinformation in this thread.

Windows XP N is the "Neutered" windows-media-player-less version of XP.

MCE is for set top boxes, pc tv, dvr, and the like. It has the "ten foot interface" and some media library components.

For a computer that isn't used for driving a tv, don't buy MCE. Just get XP Pro and be done with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top