Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 6:26:56 AM EDT
say a person is using outlook as their default email client.    the laptop crashes, meaning motherboard processsor is dead.  they need their contacts and emails(all of them).    if they did not backup to a pst file,  can you still retrieve them?   the harddrive is intact.  it was full of virus, but those have been removed.  

i know using outlok express you can import the dbx files.  but im not sure on outlook

thanks for any help
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Outlook + Exchange outlook?

Why isn't the master of that shit on the server?  

Also, if one was to have a local copy of ones contacts, isn't the address book seperate from psts?

Also also, did you try searching Microsoft documentation on the interweb?

Edit: search your profile directories for a .pab file.

Edit edit: was auto-archive on by chance?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You can take the hard drive out of the laptop and put it in an external case. Hook that up to another PC and get what ever you need off of it.
External cases from Newegg
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Outlook + Exchange outlook?                            just a personal laptop, just a pop3 account

Why isn't the master of that shit on the server?            in technical terms please

Also, if one was to have a local copy of ones contacts, isn't the address book seperate from psts?     no its either built into outlook in the pst or in a *.wab file on the hd.  in this case its not

Also also, did you try searching Microsoft documentation on the interweb?     screw tha crap you can't find anything on their site

Edit: search your profile directories for a .pab file.       never heard of such shinanigans

Edit edit: was auto-archive on by chance?   the laptop is dead i can't turn it on to find out, they are not at all computer savy, so they couldn't tell me  

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You can take the hard drive out of the laptop and put it in an external case. Hook that up to another PC and get what ever you need off of it.
External cases from Newegg

i've done that,  and unfortunatley its not that simple with email
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 just a personal laptop, just a pop3 account

in technical terms please
the MS Exchange server.

Also, if one was to have a local copy of ones contacts, isn't the address book seperate from psts?     no its either built into outlook in the pst or in a *.wab file on the hd.  in this case its not

screw tha crap you can't find anything on their site

never heard of such shinanigans
it is another form of a .wab file.  personal address book

Edit edit: was auto-archive on by chance?   the laptop is dead i can't turn it on to find out, they are not at all computer savy, so they couldn't tell me
look for an archive.pst (that is the default)

ƒö¿¿⌐º¬¬½¼¡«»░▓▒│┤

just playing
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 just a personal laptop, just a pop3 account

in technical terms please
the MS Exchange server.  if they already downloaded the mail to their system how could it be on the exchange server.

screw tha crap you can't find anything on their site

never heard of such shinanigans
it is another form of a .wab file.  personal address book  roger that

look for an archive.pst (that is the default)    been there done that, its not there

ƒö¿¿⌐º¬¬½¼¡«»░▓▒│┤

just playing

i've never hear of being able to retrieve their emails and stuff if that didn't backup to the pst file.  so thats just what im gonna tell them.   imagine that, back your stuff.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i've never hear of being able to retrieve their emails and stuff if that didn't backup to the pst file.  so thats just what im gonna tell them.   imagine that, back your stuff.  

Wait.. if they are using Outlook as a stand alone client, and not as a Exchange client, then their pop3 data has to be on a pst file somewhere. (if they wanted to keep any emails that is)

Keep looking.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait.. if they are using Outlook as a stand alone client, and not as a Exchange client, then their pop3 data has to be on a pst file somewhere. (if they wanted to keep any emails that is)

Keep looking.

if they backed it up yes.  i searched the harddrive several time and there is no pst file
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#10]
It depends on if this is a Outlook 2003 and Exchange configuration. PST files, like personal archives, etc are stored on the users hard drive, completly offline and exported from the information store on the server. A OST file is stored on the server and on the person's machine. This is so people can work offline and still have access to their email, then go online when they get a chance and synchronize changes.

A crashed hard drive or virus attack depends on the situation. If the hard drive fails in regards to hard ware (head crash) it would have to be shipped to a Data Recovery Center. This could cost up to 10K. Usually the center basis the cost ammount on how much data needs to be recovered.

I've seen several hard drives that have had Master Boot Record corrpution and or a corrupt Windows install. This is easy to recover using various free utilities.

If your users are on a workplace network, you may want to look into a shared network resource to backup archive PST files and other documents.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

if they backed it up yes.  i searched the harddrive several time and there is no pst file

If you're using XP, make sure you are searching for hidden/system files.  By default, the .pst is in a system directory and won't be found in a standard search.

IIRC, the deafult folder for the .pst file is:

systemroot\documents and settings\profilename\application data\microsoft\outlook

Again, this is a system folder, and hidden from normal view.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're using XP, make sure you are searching for hidden/system files.  By default, the .pst is in a system directory and won't be found in a standard search.

systemroot\documents and settings\profilename\application data\microsoft\outlook

Hope this helps.

We have a winner!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

I obviously had to take the hd out of the laptop and put it on my bench machine.   show all files and folders is turned on and it still is not there.   thanks for the help, he has already picked up his machine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top