Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 7:36:19 AM EDT
It has to be free.
I have recorded a program from the TV and want to convert it to avi or mpeg, then edit it.
I have googled for something that I can use, but to no avail.
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll just copy and paste my response to another thread at a different forum

Well I usually start with DVD Decrypter and just rip the VOB files to my HD. This defeats any copy protection. You don't allways need it with DVD Shrink, but I have found that sometimes you do, so I just save myself headaches by just doing it.

Next use DVD Shrink, this will let make an ISO and then rip it to a DVD. It will also let you reauthor the DVD so that it fits on the DVD with less loss of quality. You can remove all the trailers, ads, Extra language files, audio files, subtitles, and extras like Director comments or out takes. Then it will burn it to DVD using the burning software in NERO. So you also need to have Nero installed.

Now I also like to make another copy in Divx or Xvid (AVI Files), but I kept running into problems and it was just a pain in the ass untill I found Fair Use Wizard, the free version will only let you make 700 meg files, but that what I want anyway. You can choose between Divx or Xvid, I found that Xvid was easier and looks great. Now I can fit 6 or 7 500 meg to 700 meg Xvid files on one DVD for watching on my laptop during breaks at school, in a hotel room, or when I'm taking care of my father. I think the Xvid movies look as good as the real movie when in full screen mode.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can edit an .mpg or .mpeg, simply change the extension from .vob to .mpg.  Voila.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Head over to Doom9 and you can get all the free warez you need.

Once you have an .avi file you can use one of the "VirtualDub" variants to edit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
WOW
Thanks a lot for the quick replies.
3 in 10 minutes!
I'll try them after a short sleep when my brain is functioning again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top