Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 7:00:15 AM EDT
I shut down my windows firewall all together. I dont have and anti-virus or active pop-up blockers that I know of..... None will connect so I can download, I have limewire, azareus, warez and a couple others.....

Any guesses?

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Who is your ISP?  I assume they were working at some point, and now they're not?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
you can try this winsock fix, but i doubt thats what the problem is link
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont know the ISP, I am uing a WiFi hotspot each morning while I suck down my coffee and coffee roll. I am connected but the programs don't see it. Limewire is telling me that I am still behind a firewall....

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I dont know the ISP, I am uing a WiFi hotspot each morning while I suck down my coffee and coffee roll. I am connected but the programs don't see it. Limewire is telling me that I am still behind a firewall....

S.O.

Then you are probably behind a firewall.....  A lot of WiFi hotspots don't allow p2p because of legal concerns.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]
definitely behind the hardware firewall of the wifi router
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are using XP is the MS XP Firewall switched off?

Taffy

Do you have a hardware firewall?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Coincidence my firewall started acting up kept me from accessing the web called DSL, isolated to Norton personal firewall, started getting popups asking to block, all websites I deal with, then Customer Servive which sounded like pakistan told me 2006 is coming out in a couple days...coincidence
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Java, Active X along with Norton were the major players in my internet going tits up....
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
norton sucks ass
I had it preinstalled on my dell laptop
one day for no apparent reason it blocked anything that required a DNS request even though I went in after the problem started and manually set it to allow that packet type
if I typed the IP of a site it would load fine, but if I typed in the normal name it wouldn't load. turning off norton solved the problem so I know for a fact norton was to blame
I uninstalled it immediately after narrowing down the problem
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not sure why but my Bittorrent stoped working properly since 3 days ago.
I only get about a tenth of upload and download speed compared to what I used to get.
I wonder if there is a big cracking down movement going on
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I've tried downloading several programs but never get anything downloaded. What is a feeder site and a leecher site? I've seen these things mentioned in several torrent sites.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've tried downloading several programs but never get anything downloaded. What is a feeder site and a leecher site? I've seen these things mentioned in several torrent sites.

S.O.

I use bittorrent from here.
IMO it's the best one and easiest to use, no need to know any jargon.
The most common reason for these kinds of programs failing to download is that either the firewall or virus software is blocking it.
There are plenty of sites with step by step instructions on how to use it, too.

Edited to add that there is a very good video collection that can be downloaded by bittorrent here
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

I use bittorrent from here.
IMO it's the best one and easiest to use, no need to know any jargon.
The most common reason for these kinds of programs failing to download is that either the firewall or virus software is blocking it.
There are plenty of sites with step by step instructions on how to use it, too.

Edited to add that there is a very good video collection that can be downloaded by bittorrent here

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#14]
tag

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#15]
P2P Sharing programs that usualy use the gnutella network are hard to get use to at first. If you cannot connect and you are certain you have all firewalls turned off. Then your ISP or the person who runs your network has the connection ports cut off or filtered. This mostly happins at colleges and the work place or any place with a big enough network that needs firewalling or netfiltering. If its happening at home its proboly an ISP problem unless you over looked something.

As for you folks having problems getting stuff downloaded. These programs take time to work most people connected are unwilling to share their files (and some for good reason you can get busted). The people with the file you want may not be sharing or may already be uploading its limit. Same goes for speed issues if the file your downloading doesnt have many sources or if the sources are of low bandwidth its going to take a while to download. It helps to download the one with the most sources. Hoped this helped someone.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
P2P Sharing programs that usualy use the gnutella network are hard to get use to at first. If you cannot connect and you are certain you have all firewalls turned off. Then your ISP or the person who runs your network has the connection ports cut off or filtered. This mostly happins at colleges and the work place or any place with a big enough network that needs firewalling or netfiltering. If its happening at home its proboly an ISP problem unless you over looked something.

As for you folks having problems getting stuff downloaded. These programs take time to work most people connected are unwilling to share their files (and some for good reason you can get busted). The people with the file you want may not be sharing or may already be uploading its limit. Same goes for speed issues if the file your downloading doesnt have many sources or if the sources are of low bandwidth its going to take a while to download. It helps to download the one with the most sources. Hoped this helped someone.

It did. That explains why I could down load P2P files at the library but not at the dunkin-donuts, they must have it filtered.....The bastages.....
Thanks,
S.O.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#17]
you didn't tell us you were at different locations

i figured this was a home system
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
you didn't tell us you were at different locations

i figured this was a home system

See my second post in this thread.

S.O.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top