Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 9:04:25 AM EDT
For about the last three weeks I've had this small problem were on start-up Norton anti-V
doesn't start as quickly as it used to. I get a Windows warning that my anti-V is off and I should
check it. Then it starts up along with N. Personal Fire Wall and Webroot SpySweeper (and all the
other stuff). I have Win. XP sp2, plenty of memory (3 x 512), c/drive is "Sil RAID 0 Set 0 SCSI".
(which is two 120gb working together is all I know)
Two other drives are Maxtor 7Y250P0 (full of backed up DVD movie files)
and Maxtor 6Y120P0 which is meant for pictures but has never been used yet.

The thing is I have been getting a Virus alert on start up the last couple of days, it says that it
has removed it and I checked the Reg. per instructions from Norton webpage.
Virus Name: Backdoor.Graybird
I find that when I start the box with the cable modem off that I don't get this warning,
but I'm not 100% sure on this yet. My question is can this virus be coming through the modem
before the firewall and anti-V programs start up and kick in?

P.S.> I use AdAware SE Personal, Spybot S&D, and CWShredder (all free!) at least twice a week,
to go with the Norton F. Wall /anti-V. and SpySweeper (paid subscriptions), all updated just about
every other day.
So to conclude I need to force Norton to start first, please make this dead simple and step by step
clear, I'm not as savy as my overpowered gear might make me sound.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
first run this utility symnrt or just uninstall it from the control panel and add-remove programs

then reboot and reinstall NAV, I normally don't install the firewall and other feature.  thats just me

that usually fixes it.

some antitrojan software ewido  don't install background support

another helpfull utility hijackfree

xblock scroll down and click download

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top