Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 1:57:19 PM EDT
Well, after spending half of the day trying to get the kinks worked out in my new wireless network, I was finally able to get both fire sharing and internet connection working, which shouldn't have been as hard as it was.  From some reason, even after setting up file sharing, windows was denying me access to my shared folders on my main machine.  I could ping it, but it would deny me access when trying to access it directly.  So after finally tracing it down to Windows Firewall, I was able to open up TCP and UDP specific ports for a specific IP range and get it to work.  Glad it is working now, but it was hell getting here.  But now I can say I have a dedicated machine in the garage for Arfcom and my MP3 listen enjoyment over a G wireless network at 54 mbps.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you got it working.  If you would have had  SP2 installed on your systems you would never of had that problem to begin with.  

I've had a wireless network at my house for about 4 years now.  Wouldn't have it any other way

DO your windows updates man
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I posted this morning from the throne.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Posting from just inside here....

River Front Square

Can you say wierd....errrr....wired...errr wireless.

MT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Glad you got it working.  If you would have had  SP2 installed on your systems you would never of had that problem to begin with.  

I've had a wireless network at my house for about 4 years now.  Wouldn't have it any other way

DO your windows updates man

Thats just the thing,  I DO have SP2 installed on my system.  I couldn't understand why it didn't fix the Windows Firewall issue.  I am running XP Pro w/ SP2 and all available critical updates.  I had to do some digging, but was finally able to get it to work.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#5]
do you have some other software firewall installed: zonealarm, sygate, etc installed ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
do you have some other software firewall installed: zonealarm, sygate, etc installed ?

No other firewall software installed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top