Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 4:50:34 PM EDT
Just wondering, I am on my Thinkpad right now and battery is at 6%, gonna try to let it go as low as I can before plugging it back in. Does this help or hurt battery life. For some reason I have always stuck to the "drain it all the way" philosophy of rechargeable batteries....
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just wondering, I am on my Thinkpad right now and battery is at 6%, gonna try to let it go as low as I can before plugging it back in. Does this help or hurt battery life. For some reason I have always stuck to the "drain it all the way" philosophy of rechargeable batteries....

All the
Dells we had at work, when they were shelved with the batteries in, and then pulled out several months later, then batt had to be replaced.

I'd say no. And don't long term store with battery in.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure some of the experts will chime in here, but, my understanding is that the Dell batteries are the lithium polymer ones.  These will be harmed discharging them all the way.  The older NiMH's were not harmed by doing this, but the newer ones will be.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Leave at 50 to 60% charge for best live , they have no memory. If you ever get a bad one shoot it like thermite and tanerite mixed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The "drain all the way" philosophy comes from the days of NiCd batteries, which are prone to the memory effect. NiMH and Li-polymer batteries are supposed to be free of this effect, but it still can happen. So, if you can afford it (meaning you won't be going anywhere and can leave it plugged in for a long time, go ahead and deep cycle the batteries. It's not necessary every cycle, though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
It is entirely dependent on the chemistry of the battery. My Sony uses Lithium Ion which does not develop "memory" and therefore does not need to be "cycled".

Read the manual.......
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Completly draining LiPolys WILL DAMAGE them.
the old drain all the way comes from NiCd and NiMH batteries
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

check to see what type of battery it is.  if its lithium ion,  Its not suppost to matter.  I still drain them to 10% or so when i use them.  You bought a laptop for mobility SO USE IT.  I don't understand people that buy a laptop and then leave it plugged in 24X7.   Might as well use that battery while its still working ya know.  Them laptop batteries are not cheap.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've heard this as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard this as well.

Interesting...the techie wizards here at work obviously need a refresher course.  Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top