Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 3:20:46 PM EDT
There's some picture on my computer (I remember naming it and everything, but I don't know what it is) thats name shows up in green. If I open it with the generic Windows viewer, it says "No preview available." Trying to open it up in MS Paint says "Access to blahblahblah.jpg was denied." Trying to open it up with Note Pad (to see if there's normal-looking information there) comes up with "Access is denied." I'm curious as to what it is, but if I don't find out I won't be too broken hearted. Any help guys? TIA.

Edit to say: Properties look funny too. Says it's a JPEG created on July 4th of this year. Summary displays no information (usually tells height, etc).

Edit: Further looking shows it's encrypted. How do I decrypt it? It says I can access it but I can't.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Delete that file right away.  Better yet, if you have a "shredder", shred the file.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Delete that file right away.  Better yet, if you have a "shredder", shred the file.

Explain, please. Why?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to run a virus scan after you delete the file as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Not too worried about the virus angle. I'm formatting that drive tomorrow and was backing up pictures when I came across it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You got gremlins! Are you planning to blow away the partitions or just format the drive?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#6]
You have tried a number of things to delete it.  Properties is funky.  Terminate it with extreme prejudice.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
green file name means Windows has encrypted it. right click go to properties, click the advanced button under attributes then uncheck encrypt
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
green file name means Windows has encrypted it. right click go to properties, click the advanced button under attributes then uncheck encrypt

Got another access is denied. Says I should be able to though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You got gremlins! Are you planning to blow away the partitions or just format the drive?

Don't know what blow away the partitions means, but I'm going to format the drive and start from scratch.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#11]
blowing away the partition is similar to formating.  Only difference is it gets the stuff the format doesn't get, like boot sectors.  We usually do this at work when someone gets a virus that we can't seem to get rid of.  Kinda like you start out with a brand new untouched hard drive.  Formating should take care of the problem tho, was curious which route you were going to take.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
blowing away the partition is similar to formating.  Only difference is it gets the stuff the format doesn't get, like boot sectors.  We usually do this at work when someone gets a virus that we can't seem to get rid of.  Kinda like you start out with a brand new untouched hard drive.  Formating should take care of the problem tho, was curious which route you were going to take.

How does one go about blowing away the partition?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#13]
i've only seen that happen when it was created on a computer then encrypted.  then put on another machine to try to open.    

in other words i have no clue, or the file is corrupt.   what does it say the size of the file is??
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]

How does one go about blowing away the partition?

FDISK in DOS
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#15]
dude, don't fucking format or recreate partitions over this
try logging in as admin in safe mode and try the properties thing again
worst case, use this to delete the single file, destroying everything over this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Fdisk works if you have a boot disk.  Easier way of doing it is with the windows cd, the link is to some instuctions.  I wish I could find my dr instructions, but these instructions should be of some help to you

helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/reformat.htm

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
dude, don't fucking format or recreate partitions over this
try logging in as admin in safe mode and try the properties thing again
worst case, use this to delete the single file, destroying everything over this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while

Almost as dumb as not being able to read! Formatting has nothing to do with this file. I was already formatting, I was just backing up when I noticed this. As I said earlier:

Not too worried about the virus angle. I'm formatting that drive tomorrow and was backing up pictures when I came across it.

Edit to say: The file is 99.2k or something close to 100.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Fdisk works if you have a boot disk.  Easier way of doing it is with the windows cd, the link is to some instuctions.  I wish I could find my dr instructions, but these instructions should be of some help to you

helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/reformat.htm

Yeah, I know how to do it using the XP disk...what is this FDISK thing (I don't know jack about DOS)? And is what I'm doing blowing the partition?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top