Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 7:48:12 AM EDT
Motorola cellphone with usb cable and software. Can a cellphone be used to dialup an ISP and work as a modem? I can accept dialup speeds and wish to surf w/o using either business phone lines or company broadband. Random people claim this can be done but don't have details.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about USB, but I used to hook my Startac up with a serial cable. Now I can get dial up with Bluetooth compatible computer and cell phone.

You just have to set up the dialing properties in IE or whatever your using.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
yes, it can be done, but its slow. In most cases, its slower than regular dial-up. If your phone has GPRS, you can just hook your laptop to your phone and surf through your phones internet connection. Its a little faster than the other, but still slow.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I used my old Sprint phone via USB to connect to their Vision "ISP" and it worked pretty well, and fairly fast.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Cellphone data plan..... bluetooth cellphone...... bluetooth laptop..... 115-130K download speeds.  Not great for multimedia but fine for surfing and checking email and what not.  Just no streaming anything.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:45:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
yes, it can be done, but its slow. In most cases, its slower than regular dial-up. If your phone has GPRS, you can just hook your laptop to your phone and surf through your phones internet connection. Its a little faster than the other, but still slow.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top