Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 7:18:29 PM EDT
I can have both connected o the network I have in my apartment, I have tried connecting the computers directly with ethernet cables and trying to transfer files with the transfer wizard no luck.

Any help out there? Im very good with computers and embarassed I cannot get this to work..

Would it be easier to just go buy a USB cord with the appropriate ends? would that work?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
if your looking to go directly from one computer to the other you will need several things.

1) both have ethernet cards
2) ethernet crossover cable
3) configure the network

if you are using a router, just be sure to configure the network.

Let me know if you need help doing this.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
if your looking to go directly from one computer to the other you will need several things.

1) both have ethernet cards
2) ethernet crossover cable
3) configure the network

if you are using a router, just be sure to configure the network.

Let me know if you need help doing this.

1 - check
2 - check
3 - this is where im struggling, thought i could figure this out quickly but lost here..
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]
the work group has to be the same  listed here as NA:

then on the computer you are wanting to copy the files from .you have to share the folders you want to copy.  right click on the folder and go to sharing and security.  

or

the simplest way is to take the harddrive out of the old computer and slave it to the new one.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
after configuring all the settings it might take a couple reboots of each computer
it shouldn't take more than one each, but I've found that with Windows it takes a random number, and that the network sometimes might randomly stop working until both systems get rebooted
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have a DVD/CD burner?  You could backup and move files, killing two birds with one 5.56 round.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to do this recently and I found the easiest way to do it was to install the old hard drive into the new computer as a "slave" drive and then copy the files to the new drive. Most systems will "auto detect" the old drive and automatically assign it as a slave drive. If that doesn't work, you might have to move the "jumper" pin on the back of the drive to the "Slave" position.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
make sure that each computer has a unique name and a common workgroup name.  you will also need to share the drive that contains the information you want to transfer.  

on your windows xp machine you can go to a command prompt and run ipconfig /all  
this will give you the ip address of the machine.  if you are using windows 98 go to run and type winipcfg to get this information.  an ip address should be something like 192.168.1.20  
what is important is that the first three groups of numbers should match and the last group should be different.  if one computer is something like 192.168.1.20 and the second computer is something like 192.168.1.30 the computers should "connect"  
if one computer is 192.168.1.20 and the other computer is something like 169.120.1.30 they will not connect and they are not configured properly.

1)  unique name
2)  common workgroup
3)  share the source drive

if you can't connect verify the ip addresses...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top