Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 7:23:34 PM EDT
I recently rebuilt a PC from refurb parts.  All is going well, until the time comes when I have to install Windows...

The WinXP setup program requires you to "activate" your copy of windows with the unique cd key provided to you.  I used the CD Key for the new copy of Windows XP Pro that I purchashed for my  Gateway for this particular pc, and now Windows says I cannot use it, that I have to use a different one.  

So Microsoft is meaning to tell me that I cannot use the cd key that I PURCHASED with my own money on my newly built pc?  Do they mean to tell me that a $400 investment is only good for one time on only one of my pcs?  Say it ain't so....

There's gotta be some way around this....
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
just get a cracked copy of windows, problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#2]
easier said than done.  where would i find such a beast?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Don’t get a cracked version. You will not be able to download security updates.  You can use the same key as much as you want on one computer. And if you don’t want to buy another find a friend with w2k. It’s basically the same and you don’t need to activate it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Call the 1-800 number the registration wizard gave you when you tried to use your licensed number. A lady will answer, make sure the registration wizard is still open. You give her 49 numbers, she gives you ones back, done.

I've done it many times.

So even if it's on a different pc?  What are these 49 numbers I have to read to her?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don’t get a cracked version. You will not be able to download security updates.  You can use the same key as much as you want on one computer. And if you don’t want to buy another find a friend with w2k. It’s basically the same and you don’t need to activate it.

Right now MS wont let you download new add on..example Media player 10..

The security updates are still available even if you dont validate.

The is also already instructions on how to bypass this process.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Call the 1-800 number the registration wizard gave you when you tried to use your licensed number. A lady will answer, make sure the registration wizard is still open. You give her 49 numbers, she gives you ones back, done.

I've done it many times.

Hey it worked, thanks a lot!

Man even Microsoft outsources their tech support.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So Microsoft is meaning to tell me that I cannot use the cd key that I PURCHASED with my own money on my newly built pc?  Do they mean to tell me that a $400 investment is only good for one time on only one of my pcs?  Say it ain't so....

Reason is that there is more than one type of Windows code - it depends on if your XP code came with a new PC, retail pack, or upgrade.

FWIW if you buy a PC with Windows, that copy lives and dies with that PC (in licensing terms) - you aren't (legally) allowed to use it on any other PC, even when the original PC dies...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top