Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 12:39:31 PM EDT
I  turn on my computer and all I get now is the screen. No icons or start bar. It said something about a spooler problem and explorer problem. Any ideas?? How do I fix??

THANK A BUNCH FOR ANY HELP
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
What OS?  I'm guessing ME or 98.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#2]
win xp. Tried restore
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you try to go to safe mode?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
yep.all I get is a blank screen with safe mode on four corners
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I am using it now to get on the web by going to task manager and executing firefox manually.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
From the task manager, run

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL

Goto admin tools/services, set the startup type for the Print spooler service to disabled, restart the computer.  Is this going to fix it?  Not sure.  If this fails the easiest and least time consuming thing to do would be to run a repair installation of XP.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
How do you repair when many computer mfgs dont' give you a real XP CD?  Now they sell computers with only "restore" or "recovery" CD's that will only reinstall everything like it was new.  You lose all your files.

(Toshiba and HP do this)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I've restored XP before and it will save your files, it goes through the motions like a new install
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope, not with HP or Toshiba recovery CD's.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:35:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Either one should have a disc marked operating system.  You can use that to do what's called a soft restore.  If it's a newer HP desktop and you did not make restore cd's you might be in trouble.  You can get a set from HP for like $10.  Also when you start your computer look for a prompt of hitting F10 or maybe F2 to start system restore.  Most machines will have a separate partition with a ghost image of the hdd from when it was built at the factory.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nope, not with HP or Toshiba recovery CD's.

or sony
they format first
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How do you repair when many computer mfgs dont' give you a real XP CD?  Now they sell computers with only "restore" or "recovery" CD's that will only reinstall everything like it was new.  You lose all your files.

(Toshiba and HP do this)

If the manufacturer created a "recovery CD" that formats the drive first, then the only two options are to back up your files first to somewhere other than the hard drive (such as CD, DVD, another computer, hard drive, etc.) or just don't use that recovery CD.  But if you don't use the recovery CD, then you have to use something else...like a $100 Microsoft CD, and that's a wee bit pricey.

Most of the recovery CD's simply reinstall Windows.  Some do it without losing the files (a "dirty install") and others do it by formatting the drive first (a "clean install").  A dirty install is more apt to reveal problems down the road and might lead to a clean install.  Whenever possible, I always recommend a clean install.

And back to the original issue, I always recommend backing up the files you don't wish to lose.  I've seen many cases of where that didn't take place.  A nice-cheap solution is to play the rebate games and get a second 160GB hard drive for $20-40.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top