Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 6:17:34 PM EDT
Anybody have any recommendations for transferring/importing important applications software from an existing computer to a new computer that will be replacing it before the old one goes out the door?

The current one is the main computer on my home network, and acts as the "server" although that is not the best way to describe it, but it is the one that the printer is connected to, and is the one that the broadband connection is thru, and outlook, etc.  I can have them both on the network for a while to work out the kinks, but I'm not sure of the best way to approach this.

Open to any and all suggestions.  Ideally I would like to only move the stuff I need, and leave the rest behind, but if the best approach is to clone it completely, I will do whatever it takes.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Applications don't tend to copy over very well because of the registry entryies they need.  The best option for them is to just reinstall them on the new machine.

As for the documents I would sugguest using the network for that.  You can share the root drives on the old machine and pick and choose what files you want to move over to the new pc.  Plus it's one of the fastest ways to move a large amount of data.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
So best bet is to start from scratch, install from disk or download, and move on with my life.  Thanks, that is kinda what I figured.  I might just keep the old system on the network just in case I need something. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So best bet is to start from scratch, install from disk or download, and move on with my life.  Thanks, that is kinda what I figured.  I might just keep the old system on the network just in case I need something. Thanks again.

For the applications...definitely.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
norton ghost will "clone" your old hard drive to the new.  if the motherboard chipset is different between the two computers the new computer will not be able to access the hard drive.  don't panic as you can reinstall xp and everything will be the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top