Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 11:03:22 PM EDT
Is there an idot proof way install it and actualy have the GUI work?
What would be a good version for a beginer?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Mandriva Linux, graphic install and great hardware detection.  great for the new linux user.  I suggest the Powerpack 10.1 6 cd set because it comes with everything like flash and java and all that kinda good stuff installed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#2]
My first distrobutino was Mandrake.  It's rather easy..just follow along with the prompts.  If you don't mind paying ~$50 and ~$20/year, Linspire is even easier.  

Honorable mentions - Suse and Fedora Core
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]
i use fedora core 4 on my little CSS and battlefield 2 server.  Suse 9.2 and XP as a dual boot on my gameing system.  for a beginning i would start out with knoppix, slax, kantonix.  Then download Fedora or Suse, as a dual boot or dedicated machine!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get knoppix, play with it a little on the cd to be sure you want to install linux
then I'd get a second hard drive, connect it and disconnect the existing drives. install linux on the new drive. reconnect the existing drive, and use this put on a floppy to boot to which ever OS you want
btmgr.webframe.org/
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea another vote for Knoppix that way you don't have to install anything. I like and use Fedora Core 4 on my laptop and my servers use FC3 with no GUI. I thinking about trying slackware though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been using the Knoppix security auditor cd for a week and I liked how it works.  I tried the HD install and it booted twice and then it refused to let me login via the GUI.

I am putting this on a dedicated computer that will be Linux only.  I have 2 others for windows.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
best one I've seen so far is Debian

Found all of my hardware, easy to use, aptget command is awesome.  If you want to install Firefox, all you type in is apt-get firefox, debian will find it and install it for you.

www.debian.org/
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No

Red Hat.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Well Red Hat was the first to finish downloading so I am going to install it now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Red Hat or Fedora?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Red Hat is installed, it looks ugly but its working.
It doesn't see my two 802.11 cards but atleast it runs

Knoppix download failed and I will retry it in the afternoon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]
in my opinion, red hat is one of the worst.

It is pretty popular though.  

Is this red hat or Fedora?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My first distrobutino was Mandrake.  It's rather easy..just follow along with the prompts. If you don't mind paying ~$50 and ~$20/year, Linspire is even easier.  

I thought that the Linux GNU general public license required all Linux distros to have a way to get a copy for free.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
in my opinion, red hat is one of the worst.

It is pretty popular though.  

Is this red hat or Fedora?

If its RH9 it has one of the largest support for hardware, I have used RH9 with KDE with great success.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My first distrobutino was Mandrake.  It's rather easy..just follow along with the prompts. If you don't mind paying ~$50 and ~$20/year, Linspire is even easier.  

I thought that the Linux GNU general public license required all Linux distros to have a way to get a copy for free.  

Vulcan94

The GNU is based upon making the source code of customizations available.  Linspire makes it available on their site after signing up for their free login.  I suppose we could compile it from that..hehe.  They've given it away a couple times before for a limited time.

Linspire also has their CNR "service" which basically they've written their own custom scripts that automate the install of various add-ons.  Many of these scripts probably replace a single entry, and many popular add-ons have GUI-based install processes.  But for those who don't want to go to the command line for add-ons that don't have a GUI-based install process, Linpire makes it quick and easy with a point and a click.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Red Hat 9
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#17]
RH 9 has reached EoL quite some time ago, and is no longer supported by RH - i.e., no security updates, etc.   Unless this box is going to live on a completely trusted network, I'd suggest getting something current.   Put that anywhere near the Internet w/ any of the popular network daemons running and you will get rooted eventually.  Not to mention that current releases in most instances will support more hardware.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anybody have a link to the latest knoppix ISO?  The one I keep trying Is so slow that I started the download at 1:30pm today and now its 10pm and its at only 57%.

Nevermind I found their torrent link.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#19]
so after my fourth try with knoppix it still goes to the console login.  Form there I can login and run "startx" where it promptly crashes giving the following errors:

1:  Xsession: warning: unable to write to /tmp; X session may exit with an error
2:  The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:
     $HOME directory (/home/user2) is out of space.
      KDE is unable to start.
3:  Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.

Any more tips before I nuke the install again?

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#20]
How much drive space do you have for linux?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Its on a 6GB hard drive.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Are you trying to install everything possible?
The files are compressed, and they need to be decompressed somewhere
That takes up a lot of space.
It could be that.

ETA

Maybe your partitions are not the right size.
The most basic partition setup is /  (root) and the swap partition.
If you have a bunch of partitions for /usr, and the like, it may be
that they are too small.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
so after my fourth try with knoppix it still goes to the console login.  Form there I can login and run "startx" where it promptly crashes giving the following errors:

1:  Xsession: warning: unable to write to /tmp; X session may exit with an error
2:  The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE:
     $HOME directory (/home/user2) is out of space.
      KDE is unable to start.
3:  Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.

Any more tips before I nuke the install again?

Sounds like you did a Knoppix HD install, instead of using it as live CD?   While it is possible, and people have done it, that really isn't the intent of Knoppix.   Package management really is non-existant - adding to or keeping the software current is going to be an exercise in frustration.   If you were just using the live CD to see if Linux offered what you were looking for, I would recommend picking another distro once you determined Linux was suitable for you.

With any distro, you are going to be pretty tight w/ only 6GB if you want X, though.   Many people don't seem to like RedHat or Fedora Core anymore - since they are the most visible distro, I suppose the geek factor isn't there so much.   However, I don't have a problem with FC, provided you don't mind fairly frequent upgrades (each release is only given ~18months of support).  

Lots of people seem to be flocking to Ubuntu, but it is way too touchy-feely for the conservative in me.   It is described as:

"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all are". The Ubuntu Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.

complete with the image of a multi-ethnic group in a circle, holding hands.   Nothing wrong with that, mind you, it just seems that the impression, as a whole, is ultra left wing...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, I am trying to do the Knoppix HD install.  The main reason I am doing this it that the copy I am using comes preloaded with all the security auditing tools that I am trying to learn how to use.

Tools list

If there is any other way to install all these tools all at once on another version I would go with it, or if there was an easy way to pull the tools off of the Live CD.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#25]
No, there is no easy way to get all those tools installed easily on another distro, no.  Since most distros won't have packages for most of them, either, it will mean compiling from source for the most part.    However, I would say especially if you are looking for a security toolkit, take that list of tools you want build your own system.   The security tools change so often - much more often than any live CD distro is going to be updated - so you'll end up doing this anyway if you want them to stay current.   No live CD distro will ever keep you on the bleeding edge, where you really ought to be for such purposes.

Don't get me wrong, a live CD's serve their purposes, but their main advantage is portability.   If you are going to be lugging a laptop around, I'd still suggest going with another distro and build to suit your needs.   I actually did the same thing, based on the tools on the auditor CD, as it is a pretty comprehensive list of those that are available on Linux.   However, I also found that many were either completely redundant, or never used.

It should also be pointed out that while Auditor is based off of Knoppix, it really isn't the Knoppix distro.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

No.  linux + idiot = 0

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I use SUSE. You can try Feather Linux. It runs from the CD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top