Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 10:42:08 AM EDT
Hope someone has some info on this:
Running Firefox (latest version) on XP and my bookmarks have disappeared. The toolbar bookmarks and the others as well...they are nowhere on my system.
This is the second time this has happened...I've read a coupla posts in geek forums that complain about this but nobody offers solutions.
Anyone here have any info?
Feel free to IM or post
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Had it happened to me. Here's the help I Got:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=375058
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Read the thread and tried the options...nada...I've re-booted since, so there ya go...
Ah well...
Evidently Mozilla knows about the bug but is unconcerned...

*I* feel slightly different...
gah..
Thanks for trying guys!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I export mine every few days
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
My bookmarks are fine. All my emails in OE 6.00 disappeared.

I keep all my gun trades, family and travel stuff in files all neat and sorted. Everything is gone, poofo!!!

I wonder if a system resotre to a date earlier than the first one I have now (couple weeks) may bring them back???  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried that...but the restore would not go back to anything before Friday (the date it went blammo) so I am guessing I either have an annoying little bug or some program has a glitch...
I need some serious system maintenance (may dump and restart)
But ugh...the TIME...............
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hope someone has some info on this:
Running Firefox (latest version) on XP and my bookmarks have disappeared. The toolbar bookmarks and the others as well...they are nowhere on my system.
This is the second time this has happened...I've read a coupla posts in geek forums that complain about this but nobody offers solutions.
Anyone here have any info?
Feel free to IM or post
Thanks in advance!

[This assumes windows XP]

Pop Open Explorer (not IE), and see if there is a directory C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

There will probably be a directory in there with something like.  "807oisadfsdflk.default"

See if there is a file in there called 'bookmarks.html'  (the .html might be hidden).

If the file isn't there, then your bookmarks really were blown away.  However there is an automatic backup!  Look for a "bookmarks.bak".  If it exists, close firefox, then make a copy and rename it to "bookmarks.html".  Don't bother to reimport this.

If the bookmarks.html file is there, it is possible that firefox doesn't think you are who you say you are.  Did you log back into Windows using the same user id?

One thing you can do is make a whole copy of this directory, deinstall Firefox, reinstall firefox and look for the newly created randomly named directory "lkjasdf8907sdf.defaul" then copy the contents of the old directory into this directory, restart firefox, and your preferences, cookies, bookmarks, etc should be back.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:32:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Bumping to see if more have an opinion...oh and FYI: I attempted a system restore and I was unable to get the computer to go back to a date before the bookmaks got blown away.
Any ideas on this? I've run 2 AV scans and 2 AS scans and it's clean...I also noticed that some of the "saved form information" from websites was lost...not ALL...just some...

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#9]
On the bookmark thing and the email thing...Just restore your backup files.
...seven...eight...nine...ten.

Alright, so there may not be backup files this time.  But hopefully there will be next time.  As for this time, it is a possibility that the files may simply not be there.  If the data isn't there, then it gets recreated from scratch (or we continue on without that data and build up new data).  If the files are there, it gets a little interesting, sometimes it is as simple as copying a file to the right folder, but the process will be different depening upon what the actual issue is.  

Determining if the data is there or not is what takes time.  Perhaps a profile on Mozilla became corrupted to the point where Mozilla decided to create a new profile.  That's just one possibility.  Figuring out the actual "why" is usually not time-efficient and rarely provides useful answers unless we were the original programmers of the application.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top