Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 2:11:38 PM EDT
Probably not a good idea to upgrade at this time.

forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Probably not a good idea to upgrade at this time.

forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst

What is the most recent, most reliable version.

I'm running ZoneAlarm Pro v.  4
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe 4.5 was the last version released prior to the acquisition by Check Point. Since then, all versions have been iffy (5.5.094 seems to work okay on most systems). I get the feeling Check Point is trying to kill the product, which would put their firewall products in a better market position.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll dance at your funeral, mattja. I just downloaded the sucker 10mb last night, but didn't run the install. PROCRASTINATION IS MY SHIELD>
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I got an alert last night about the new version being available.  I almost clicked to download and install... but I remembered several other screw-ups from previous updates so I decided to wait and see.  

Now I see!  I'll hold off on updating Zone Alarm.

Thanks Mattja!

It's a shame.  I've used their products for years with little trouble but recently they've turned into a joke.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Zonealarm = the suck

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
What is zone alarm?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Ruh-Roh! I just upgraded this AM... Perhaps an uninstall and a return back to previous version is in order?
Lee
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What is zone alarm?

Software firewall. Used to be great.

The Check Point bought Zone Labs, and it's been just one step above a POS since.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What is zone alarm?

A firewall... a free one-
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ruh-Roh! I just upgraded this AM... Perhaps an uninstall and a return back to previous version is in order?
Lee

If it works for you, don't screw with it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The only differences I've seen is it has the tendency to regard less than critical things with more seriousness than warranted.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Zonealarm = the suck

Bill3508

I've used the free version for years with no problems.  At the time I chose it, it was superior to all of the other software firewalls I looked at, such as Black Ice (damn them for taking a Neuromancer reference).  Maybe it's slipped...I don't know.  

I checked, I'm currently on the standard Zone Alarm 5.5.xxx.  No notices for upgrades this week.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Zonealarm = the suck

Bill3508

I've used the free version for years with no problems.  At the time I chose it, it was superior to all of the other software firewalls I looked at, such as Black Ice (damn them for taking a Neuromancer reference).  Maybe it's slipped...I don't know.  

I checked, I'm currently on the standard Zone Alarm 5.5.xxx.  No notices for upgrades this week.

Jim

Maybe there update server is broken as well.

Feeling lucky?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The only differences I've seen is it has the tendency to regard less than critical things with more seriousness than warranted.

+1 here.

Update: My wife installed ZA Pro 6.x and she tells me she has lost all connectivity (email and browser).  Looks like I'll put on my SysAdmin hat this afternoon.

Update #2: Was able to get things running again by uninstalling ZA and then reinstalling it. Seems relatively Ok now. I'm using ZA Pro.  The reinstall seems to have "remembered" my registration code so I didn't have to re-enter that at least.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I was never impressed with zone alarm
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I must be missing something.  I've been running Zonealarm for at least 5 years.  I've had ZERO problems with it, and it does exactly what I want it to do.  It monitors what software on my computer tries to access the internet, and I can allow or disallow it.  My hardware firewall protects me from intrusions.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I must be missing something.  I've been running Zonealarm for at least 5 years.  I've had ZERO problems with it, and it does exactly what I want it to do.  It monitors what software on my computer tries to access the internet, and I can allow or disallow it.  My hardware firewall protects me from intrusions.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Sounds exactly like what my Sygate Personal Firewall does!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Same here. Still I think I'll hold off on the upgrade until more info comes out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top