Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 4:57:34 AM EDT
Currently using Home version of Win XP:  On shutdown the monitor will show "windows logging off" then the computer freezes up.  I hot boot and go through the process again and it will shutdown.  Any one??????????
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Currently using Home version of Win XP:  On shutdown the monitor will show "windows logging off" then the computer freezes up.  I hot boot and go through the process again and it will shutdown.  Any one??????????

There could be a couple things wrong...

Click Start...Control Panel...Sounds and Audio Devices...Sounds and see if Windows Close Program is set to (none).

If it isn't click none and apply.

You could also have more than one "Anti-Virus" program running and that will keep it from shutting down.

Click Start...Control Panel...Add or Remove Programs and check if you have more than one listed. If so uninstall the one that isn't current.

Hope this does it if not well go to Plan B!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Update to Service Pack 2 and see what happens then.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#3]
unplug all your peripherials like printers and stuff like that and see what happens

then install hijackthis and post hte log file hijackthis
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There could be a couple things wrong...

Click Start...Control Panel...Sounds and Audio Devices...Sounds and see if Windows Close Program is set to (none).

If it isn't click none and apply.

You could also have more than one "Anti-Virus" program running and that will keep it from shutting down.
What is PLAN "B"?

Click Start...Control Panel...Add or Remove Programs and check if you have more than one listed. If so uninstall the one that isn't current.

Hope this does it if not well go to Plan B

BigDozer66

What is Plan "B"?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you even up to Service Pack 2 or can I assume you are since you didn't respond to my suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, I have the SP2 installed.  This just started about a month ago and is not always a hangup at shutdown.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top