Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2005 6:55:43 PM EDT
So w/ the new computer that I recently built and with everything that I threw into it I plum forgot a nice CPU Cooler.  Hopped onto eBay, found one I liked, bought it up and after 10-days I got this in the mail!  It's keeping my PC running at 54C even while running BF2 at the highest settings possible or editing a 20 GB MPEG.  Not to shabby in my opinion.  

Inroducing the Thermaltake Big Typhoon.  Here's a review from Tom's Hardware.

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats about average now a-days...They make much bigger....

Edit: Nice working with that on carpet
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice headers on that rig.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The heatpipes are made by Thermacore.

Copper tube filled with a sintered copper core (pourous) and DI water.  A mandrel is inserted in the sintering process to create a small central hole through the sintered copper matrix.  The DI water boils at the heat source and through convection and condensation moves the heat to the heat sink fins.  Performance is measured in watts per meter kelvin.

If I knew how to post pics, I have one about 15 times larger sitting on my desk.  We make some of the most complex heat sinks in the world.  The one on my desk uses a proprietary graphite fin technolgy and for its size is very light and out performs copper....

Cool stuff...
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that ahhhhh, where the hampster runs on the wheel? It is right?
Damn you guys amaze me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Does that help blow the viruses out of your computer?
Seriously, how much does one cost and how much faster can it make my POS go?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm guessing "quiet" was a key factor in picking a fan?

12 cfm at 16 db.

I have a www.thermaltake.com/coolers/spark/a1715.htm

runs 1300 rpm, 10 cfm, at 17 db, up to 6000 rpm, 43 cfm, at 43 db.

I use the manual control, seems to keep the CPU at appx 100 f.

I also have 4 80mm case fans, which I have set for CPU speed control, without allowing them to shut down, expect for 1 that is running 100% all the time.

Interesting to see other people's set-ups.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 3:58:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If I knew how to post pics, I have one about 15 times larger sitting on my desk.  
Cool stuff...

Do you know how to email pics to me and I'll stick them up for you?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:01:25 AM EDT
[#9]
talk about an ESD friendly workspace!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:13:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Dude, just an idea, but that is like 10x too much thermal paste.  You should have used something like Arctic Silver or Shin Etsu and spread a paper thin layer on the core itself.  You just want a very thin layer to transfer the heat to the sink.  It's just to fill in the pores in the two surfaces.  That thick layer you have actually reduces the heat transfer and you don't get as much of an effect from the attic fan you're using to cool the CPU.  LOL.  Actually I like the cooler, just use a little less paste.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:17:00 AM EDT
[#11]
BTW, that's the best SATA cabling job I've ever seen.  I'm going to have to remember that for my next build.  Cable-gami is an artform!
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Too much is better than not enough, and clamping down tight should take care of the extra.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:29:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That thick layer you have actually reduces the heat transfer and you don't get as much of an effect from the attic fan you're using to cool the CPU.  LOL.  Actually I like the cooler, just use a little less paste.

Thanks for the advice.  This I did not know.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeesh!  That's huge!

I've got a Zalman flower type thingey on my A64 right now..the big fans are quiet while moving the air, ain't they..

nice Audigy...
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#15]
yeah when we were building my comp i was like HOLY SHIT this fan is huge.

always was amazied by how small the cpu is compared to my old p3.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:19:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
nice Audigy...

LOL  You would notice that!  Thank you.
--------

Here's some pics of HeatSinks that CattleDog makes.  Comments added by myself.  Don't we love Microsoft Paint?  LOL

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#17]
SWEET!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Seriously, how much does one cost and how much faster can it make my POS go?

Not sure on how much faster it'll make a machine go, but it sure as heck will keep it nice and cool.  It cost me just over $50 with shipping and all.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#19]
That thing is so huge.  Did you have to pay tithe on it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

LOL  I'll cut a fin out and turn it in to my Bishop.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks nice!  I have no idea what kind of cooler is in my PC. I guess maybe I'll find out if it ever dies.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL  I'll cut a fin out and turn it in to my Bishop.

Do you sell wholesell?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool beans. I'm using this one.  Posed next to a AMD OEM  heatsink and my trusty Endura.  I have a Panaflo mounted on the side of the heatsink.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep, I almost got somthing of similar size a Thermalright XP-120 for my P4 3.2E system, this right after my water block for my processor leaked on my video card However the card survived only after a isopropyl alcohol bath.

The weight of those things is what made me think twice, the biggest HSF I ever had was a stock intel cooler on my P4 3.2E.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking !!

You need the airconditioner unit instead, run that CPU at 20 degrees..coooooolll !!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking !!

You need the airconditioner unit instead, run that CPU at 20 degrees..coooooolll !!

At the very least throw down some of those anti-static bags and set the mobo on it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Carpet and electronics do not mix!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Carpet and electronics do not mix!

I knew all this already guys.  Thanks for the joshing!  
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I been looking at them but havent used it yet.

I know somone who has one  and I'll see how it works for them
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#30]
All of that and You are using a dial-up modem
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Shameless me2 pic, crappy quality no less.  I know I should be shot...or forced to buy a new camera and then shot.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Shameless me2 pic, crappy quality no less.  I know I should be shot...or forced to buy a new camera and then shot.  

tinypic.com/9hrwbd.jpg

That's the one I have on my A64...I was going to get the all copper one, but due to the weight, I went with the Aluminum/copper version.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/9hrwbd.jpg

That's the one I have on my A64...I was going to get the all copper one, but due to the weight, I went with the Aluminum/copper version.

Same here.  I wanted the best cooling available but I couldn't get over the idea of that much stress placed on my mobo's CPU socket.  The company I was ordering through was prepared to shim it in place for shipping, which didn't do anything to ease my concerns.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

lol...yep.  I see a mobo replacement in his future.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh... I get the point already.  I'm not an idiot.  I already knew this before I even started working on it.  I know that so many of you who keep hashing on the ESD are utter Computer Professionals/Network Administrators/Masters of the Universe whatever you'd like to say you are and you all wear your ESD Strap EVERYTIME you work on a machine let alone any networking component.

I bow to your great wisdom.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh... I get the point already.  I'm not an idiot.  I already knew this before I even started working on it.  I know that so many of you who keep hashing on the ESD are utter Computer Professionals/Network Administrators/Masters of the Universe whatever you'd like to say you are and you all wear your ESD Strap EVERYTIME you work on a machine let alone any networking component.

I bow to your great wisdom.

I've been repairing PC's for 10 years now and don't wear the little anti-static strap.

I also put my electronics on carpet at times when working with them.

Av.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#37]
ESD is alot rarer than it is made out to be.  Still, why take the chance?  Do I wear my wrist strap every time, no...usually only when I'm gonna get really down and dirty and remove the mobo or PSU.  Otherwise, avoiding the obvious hazard of working on carpet is always a good idea...unless it is somehow unfeasible or your just lazy.  Taking a split second to ground yourself by touching a metal part of the case is enough to scare away the ESD boogeyman 99% of the time...pretty much anyone who tinkers regularly should know this.  

ETA - I had a near-hit of lightning three days ago with a visible and audible discharge of electricity in my basement.  Hairs were on end and the air smelled electric.  It is lightning and thundering again as I type this, hehe.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
...or your just lazy.

Yes I am.  And it's comfortable sitting on me carpet with a pillow under my chest while working.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#39]
My standard practice is to put the case in my lap and lean on the case with my forearms.  It's just habit now.

Has anybody seen the "wireless" anti-static wrist straps?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#40]
I never wear those wrist straps, never seen any evidence that they actually do anything with desktop computers. I have set some of my components on the carpet before, but only for a few seconds with no ill effects.

I hope your not serious...

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/9hrwbd.jpg

I have the all copper one of those on my P4
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#42]
I have taken many computer aparat and reassembled without doing the ESD thing, never had a problem
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:56:08 AM EDT
[#43]
ESD - better to be safe than sorry.

I've worked on very high end avionics... at those prices, blowing out a trace is NOT cheap.  (same
with current cpu's and related)

I would recommend at least using some other surface (table) and making an attempt at discharging / grounding yourself before starting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:02:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/9hrwbd.jpg

I have the all copper on me P4.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Dang... I need ot build a new computer just so I can slap a cooling system in it like that
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/9hrwbd.jpg

Same here.
I have a P4 3ghz Prescott that I overclocked to 3.6ghz and
it was idling at 48C with the stock Intel heatsink.
I got the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu copper sink with the blue LED and
Arctic Silver thermal grease, and it dropped the temp to 40C idle.
And it still summer. Come wintertime, it will be way cooler.
I like it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/9hrwbd.jpg

Same here.
I have a P4 3ghz Prescott that I overclocked to 3.6ghz and
it was idling at 48C with the stock Intel heatsink.
I got the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu copper sink with the blue LED and
Arctic Silver thermal grease, and it dropped the temp to 40C idle.
And it still summer. Come wintertime, it will be way cooler.
I like it.

www.zalman.co.kr/upload/product/7000bled_cu_c_p.jpg

Sweet, have the same CPU as you! No overclock here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I never wear those wrist straps, never seen any evidence that they actually do anything with desktop computers. I have set some of my components on the carpet before, but only for a few seconds with no ill effects.

I hope your not serious...

Yup...seriously

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top