Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2005 1:40:47 PM EDT
I am looking for a good laptop and need some help. I will also be buying a fairly powerful desktop so I am not needing a real powerhouse laptop. I want to be able to play somegames on it but nothing really extreme, mostly just age of mythology or Jedi outcast etc. I also want to be able to watch dvd's and listen to music, do office stuff and store/edit pictures. I had looked at and was impressed with falcon northwest's fragbook's but im not crazy about the price. I would probably be using the laptop mostly with a power cord but would like good battery life anyway.

Id like at least 2-3 GHZ processor & a good size harddrive, at least 256 MB of ram and a good 3d graphics card. Most of all I want good machine management so that it doesn't overheat too easy or anything.

Recommendations welcome. Will provide more info if needed.

Thanx.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 2:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn't care for my toshiba laptop.  To many issues with HDD failure.

I like my Dell, but Dell's support leaves something to be desired.

Might try an offbrand - Asus make some nice equipment.  Best thing to do is checkout pricewatch.com and see what kind of notebooks are available through the retailers there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
thanx guys.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
We've always had good luck with Toshibas. Thats all we buy now for the past 8 years or so.  Sonys are good too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I am looking at two Dell's right now. I have my personal laptop, an Inspiron , my work laptop, a Latitude, and I bought my daughter a Inspiron 600m for college about 9 months ago. My recommedation......Go to Dell.com, go to their Outlet, and buy the equipment you want and get the 3 year warranty. i would guess you can get what you want for less than $1000 including the warranty. Go to the outlet and go through the process like you were going to buy....you will get the total, out the door price. If it isn't what you want.....just exit. The 600m is light, 5.5 lbs, I think, and Dell support has been great to me.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#7]
get a centrino thing, not the pentium4 varient type.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Anything with an "M type" (Mobile) processer.  They're very efficient and very well priced.  I recommend Acex from Newegg

Make sure it's a Pentium M or a Athlon M or something to that effect.  The batteries last about 5 hours + compared to 2 hours.  They are very efficient and designed solely for use with mobile laptops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top