Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 4:34:33 PM EDT
Ill keep it simple. I need to upgrade with more memory and I was just about to order somthing off of newegg but came to find out that not all memory cards may be compatable with my computer's motherboard.

I cant find any info anywhere that tells me what kind of motherboard I have. However.....

The Processor is AMD Athlon 1.0 GHz

and the memory type is PC133 SDRAM

If I just knew what the motherboard was then it would make things much simpler but oh well.

Update I got the memory today and it is installed. My computer seems to recognise it but I am still having memory related problems with some software reguardless. Was there somthing I was supposed to do after I restarted my machine?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Well... PC133 is older. Still plentiful, but older. Do you have any memory slots available?
Your safest bet would be to buy identical chips to what you've got now. However, if you don'ty have any spare slots, that could be a problem. Are there any markings on the motherboard? mfg? markings on the chips? If we can figure out what motherboard you've got, we can then look up the specs online and see what that baord can all handle. Otherwise you risk getting too large of a chip.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
pc133 is old stuff.  

You mgith be better off upgrading your motherboard  and getting cheap ddr.

You can open your case and look for marking on the motherboard - it will be on there somewhere, maybe between two PCI slots or something.

I tried putting some extra pc100 in my dad's older computer once and it didn't help much - memory bandwidth was too narrow, it only helped slightly when it helped to avoid swap usage.

I wouldn't spend good money on a machine that old.

If you want to buy some cheap, check out the agora at arstechnica.com

Beware the ubergeeks and liberals.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Try this mobo ID utility
ID Utility

Or, search here

BIOS String ID
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top