Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 6:54:27 AM EDT
I turn on my computer, get online, hit my favorites, click on arfcom, site pops up, then locks up.  Control-Alt-delete, says ar-15.com "not responding" click on end task, and then start all over.  took me five times today before I got the site to work.  Help me before I crush this fucking computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm... Try restarting the computer, clear the cookies, and temp files.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Paul, slow down I can't keep up.  
OS- Microsoft ME.  up to date? who knows
Norton anti virus and I think it updates automatically?
spyware- no idea. firewall- no idea
Of my most frequent sites this one is the only one I have trouble with.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#5]
My work comp. fucks up like that all the time, it's on DSL, My home comp. is on cable and no problems ever"XP at home 2000 AT WORK" ?    Mine also locks up on my active topics and active topics.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Install Suns Java
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Paul, slow down I can't keep up.  
OS- Microsoft ME.  up to date? who knows
Norton anti virus and I think it updates automatically?
spyware- no idea. firewall- no idea
Of my most frequent sites this one is the only one I have trouble with.  

Windows ME sucks - 98SE or XP are both better code and better supported.

Your countries department of homeland defense has asked you to lose Internet Explorer and use Firefox.

You've probably got 40 or more programs running in the background spying on your computer and that's your problem. Download, install, update and then scan your system with Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware (they're free). I teach computer networking and have my students run scans and most end up with between 30 to 50 programs. The worse was 327 on one young girl. These programs sit in the back ground and use your CPU's clock pluses and your bandwidth to make profit for them, steal your passwords, deliver pop-ups, hi-jack your browser.

Going to a browser program like Firefox or Opera you'll find that your safer, faster, and better browsering. Keep IE around for those sites with crappy Java code.

Not running a firewall is just plain silly. Within seconds of being connected to the internet you're under attack. My firewall at work gets hit three or four times a second. Mine at home four or more times a night. Download, install, and update Zone Alarm (it's free).

1. Firewall
2. Anti-spyware
3. Virus scanner

exactly what is said here and also run a full system virus scan after your definitions are up-to-date.  sometimes the you will find viruses that were previously undetected because of old definitions.

no excuses, here they are:
here is a link to spybot search and destroy, just select one of the mirrors
here is a link to lavasoft ad-aware, the free version
here is the link to the free zone alarm
here is the link to firefox

also if you are on cable/dsl you need to get a router, this will help out quite a bit for security, though it is not perfect it is better than without one.

like others stated me was probably m$'s worst o/s in a long time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks all.  I'll get on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top