Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 4:56:35 AM EDT
Going to try and go wireless with my laptop , do I need to stay away from certain brands or models? The PCI card I have is a Broadcom 4306 if that helps with B and G capabilities. The way I see it, is that cable from the provider goes to the desktop and then to the router then wireless to anything that can pick it up , is this correct?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#1]
My advice would be to get an 802.11g router - the speed increase over the 802.11b is very noticeable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Lynksis

Everyone I know who uses these, including myself, has had great results.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:06:46 AM EDT
[#4]
IF you get a wireless router, like the Netgear 614 I have, you can just plug that into your modem.  Then you can have wired or wireless computers attached to the router.  802.11g has better range and speed than b, but only if you can use the speed.  For instance, your provider gives you 3Mbps download, unless you're transferring files from computer to computer within your network, you will never see the speed difference.  So go G if your budget allows, but b is just as good for all internet tasks.  I like Netgear, but some like Linksys.  I had one Linksys keep dropping connections, so I've sworn off of them forever.  My best friend uses Linksys and swears by them.  Stick with a name brand and you should be OK.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks All
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:18:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Linksys 54G Wireless Router...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:34:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I install these about 3-4 times a week. Go with G for better security and speed.

Lynxsis is probably the most popular.  Sometimes I find them a bit quirky.  I rarely have problems w/ NetGear or Motorola.

-HS
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Linksys 54G Wireless Router...

+1

I've set up 2 of these. It's a snap.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Going to try and go wireless with my laptop , do I need to stay away from certain brands or models? The PCI card I have is a Broadcom 4306 if that helps with B and G capabilities. The way I see it, is that cable from the provider goes to the desktop and then to the router then wireless to anything that can pick it up , is this correct?

The cable from the provider goes into the router on the port marked WAN. The other ports are what you plug your desktop, etc. into. Your laptop will connect to the router via wireless. Now, if you already have a router (which I hope you do) you only need to get a WAP or wireless access point and plug it into your router. This will give you wireless capability. Regardless on which way you go be sure to use 128 bit WEP encryption, change the default SSID, don't broadcast the SSID, change the default password on the WAP and use MAC address filtering.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Lynksis

2nd that, just bought one for my computer and it's great.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Best Buy has a B router and port for 15.00 after rebates. I don't really see a reason to go G unless you are transfering a LOT of files between the comps.
I think I will go pick one up.
tony
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a little different, I suppose. I'm not recommending this, but here's what I do at home:

WAP: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/ps4076/index.html
FW:    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/ps2031/index.html

Overkill at home, but I dig it. Ask my wife how much fun it is to be married to a Network Engineer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm a little different, I suppose. I'm not recommending this, but here's what I do at home:

WAP: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/ps4076/index.html
FW:    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/ps2031/index.html

Overkill at home, but I dig it. Ask my wife how much fun it is to be married to a Network Engineer. hr

Yeah, but that's a pretty pricey way to go compared to rolling down to the local computer megastore and smacking down less than a hundred bucks for a Linksys, the Cisco little brother.

The Cisco WAP and the PIX are going to require a little more knowledge of what you're doing.  The Linksys is closer to drop-dead easy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Lynksis

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#17]
The Linksys units are just fine, but I have had great success also with my D-Link DI-624 unit.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top