Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 6:31:50 AM EDT
Trying to get some non-tech people acclimated to Linux, and I'm pretty new to it myself.  What's the most Windoze like session, i.e. Gnome, KDE, etc?

Thanks!

Michael
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Definitely KDE with the Redmond style turned on.

Use the most up-to-date KDE distro you can find and It's VERY Windo$e-like.

Gnome is not really very similar to Windo$e.

My fave is Blackbox, though.  Super minimalistic and sharp.

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd also like to hear opinions about which Linux distro and desktop to use.  Are there any desktops like the old OS/2 Workplace ui?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude, hijack your own thread!  

I hated OS/2's interface, we used it on some gauging PC's in a previous iteration.

Michael
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Some look like the Windows interface none actually act like the Windows interface. KDE is probably the best but it is only like Windows on the surface. Don’t let people fool you in to believing Linux is easy to use it may be one day but is not now. No matter which interface you use there is still a steep learning curve.

If you with to invest the time with Linux you will learn something but don’t expect proficiency to come without spending a good deal of time at it.

IMO the best distro out now is SUSE followed by Mandrake.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always been partial to Red Hat, though the free version of it is now called the Fedora Project.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Where does one turn on the Redmond option?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]
ttt for the night crew
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had good luck running slackware 10.0 on an ibm thinkpad t21 using kde.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#12]

My KDE desktop running under Suse Linux 9.1

I diagree with Max_Mike when he said "Don't let people fool you into believing that Linux is easy to use it may be one day but is not now".

IMHO, nothing could be further from the truth.

I find Linux EASY to use, I can configure pretty much to MY taste instead of the "WYSIWYG" (What ya see is what ya get) Winblows rams down one's throat. Now, if you've never been through a linux install before, this can feel daunting at first,  however, there are so many self help books for linux available (i.e. Linux for dummies) that install shouldn't be THAT big an issue.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Where does one turn on the Redmond option?

If you are using SuSE 9.1, you can change this setting by clicking on the KDE start menu, now select CONROL CENTER, then APPEARANCE AND THEMES and then STYLE, there will be a menu to the right, select STYLE tab and mouse down the  WIDGET menu to the one you want.

You can change the KDE start up splash screen in the same place to "Redmond", (The XP look) by mousing over to the left side of the panel and select splash screen, once in, you have options to the right, select REDMOND.

KDE 3.2 and KDE 3.3 >>SHOULD<< configure in this manner regardless of distro.

For other issues, you can find a Linus user group in YOUR area at linux.org or through a google search. Linux user groups are a GREAT source of help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top