Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 1:24:53 PM EDT
I need help with this...we have cable internet and 3 computers to hook into 1 cable modem.  I bought a ethernet hub and hooked it up as in the instructions.  Now the problem...only 1 computer will connect and all the others won't connect even though all the lights on the hub say they are.
Any suggestions???
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I think what you are going to need is a router.  I forget, as I haven't worked with cable modems in a while.  If someone remembers better than I do, they'll correct me.

Go to walmart and get a router for about $40.  Most routers have built in firewall - which you NEED on a dedicated connection.  This router will also allow you to share one ISP connection across multiple computers.  A ethernet hub or 'dumb' hub won't do anything like that.  You are also going to need a DHCP to assign IP numbers to your computer which a router will take care of.

Walmart router.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can do this without buying a Router but I HIGHLY suggest that you do it - if for the built-in firewall if nothing else. Heck, get a wireless router for $40 and you'll be WiFi ready and sharing with your wired computers.

You a router that does NAT - Network Address Translation - which I am unaware of one that doesn't do that. The Router will take the IP address from the ISP and use other IP addresses for the computers inside the Router - most will handle up to 254 so you should be good to go unless you've got a really big family. Set each home computer to use DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - from inside the Network applet (control panel/network). When they boot up they'll ask the Router for an IP address.

There is a software solution built-into to XP called the Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing - to a start/help and support/search for that and it will walk you though.

+1 on the router, dont have to worry about leaving the main comp on, as u need it to be on to rout to the outhers.

much more security and versatility with routers 2, i use Linksys
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:41:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anything but USR (US Robotics).

that generic crap isnt worth that plastic its made of. back in the ages b4 adelphia powerlink i had a USR modem its was the bidggest POS i had ever seen.  thanks for bringing back some bad memories.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
get a linksys or netgear.  if you don't have a laptop, don't get wireless unless you know how to secure it.  also, make sure you change the default ip scheme and admin password.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
get a linksys or netgear.  if you don't have a laptop, don't get wireless unless you know how to secure it.  also, make sure you change the default ip scheme and admin password.

change the default ip scheme?  what do you mean by this?

also if you get one of the wireless ones, just read about the security as most of the wifi routers/access points come with all of the security off.  it is not hard, it is just most people who are not familiar with the setups don't even know it is there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top